The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Update with RPM or Let cPanel Handle it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by selfg, Jun 18, 2005.

1. selfg

selfg Member

Small Web Server for a department in a Community College
    RedHat Enterprise ES 3

I recently installed cPanel on a server with a newly-formatted disk. I set up APF and then ran Nessus. I received a number of "Severity: High" warnings from Nessus and wondered if the best course of action is for me to update my system manually or let cPanel update it during its routine processes.

For example, I received several warnings about Mailman with advise to upgrade to Mailman 2.1.6b1. However, I'm not sure if I manually update Mailman would that break cPanel? Does cPanel update these types of modules automatically? I'm not sure if there is an RPM for mailman, but it is no problem for me to download the source and compile it on my machine. However, does it make any difference if there is an RPM for a given package (like Mailman)? Does an RPM make it less likely to break cPanel if I install it?

I do not want to do anything to break cPanel (it has made my life so much easier!); but, of course, I also do not want to leave a security hole open. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

2. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

Cpanel usually patches security holes so I would recomend waiting for Cpanel to update the software.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Nessus usually throws up a whole slew of false-positives because by its very nature it disregards the fact RH backport security fixes into packages. I've never found it to be particularly useful for that reason.

4. selfg

selfg Member

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts - this helps. --George

5. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Active Member

I have same problem with mailman.
    One of my friend (I host him in my server) is trying to get a "HackerProof" seal from a company, and he cannot get it because this "Security Hole in Mailman" warning of Nessus.

I have tried to install 2.1.6b2 manually, but it installs to /etc/local/mailman, and when I access the mailman admin pages, I see that version is 2.1.6...

Until cPanel comes up with a patch, is there any way to install the mailman over cPanel's mailman?

Thanks...