Should I upgrade PHP to 5.4

opentoe

Feb 6, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
My WHM has PHP version 5.3.2 installed I think and usually newer versions are optimized better and more efficient. Should I upgrade my PHP via WHM to the later version you think?

kdean

Oct 19, 2012
Orlando, FL
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are all of you site's compatible with php 5.4 and not using any of the deprecated functions that no longer exist in 5.4 but do exist in 5.3?

This is where it would be nice if Easy Apache allowed concurrent 5.3 and 5.4 installs that were user selectable via cPanel like you could do with php 4 and php 5. It would save a lot of upgrade grief for individual client sites.

LeadDogGraphics

Feb 25, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are all of you site's compatible with php 5.4 and not using any of the deprecated functions that no longer exist in 5.4 but do exist in 5.3?

This is where it would be nice if Easy Apache allowed concurrent 5.3 and 5.4 installs that were user selectable via cPanel like you could do with php 4 and php 5. It would save a lot of upgrade grief for individual client sites.
What would even be nicer is if there was a function that could search for depreciated functions in the users home folder, that way there is a definitive answer as to if your clients sites are compatible.

opentoe

Feb 6, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner

I'm investigating that now. I only have a few domains on the account so it won't be that bad. I feel bad for companies that have thousands of customers/domains and all of them will eventually have to upgrade.

SageBrian

Jun 1, 2002
NY/CT (US)
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Please note that the PHP 5.3 series will enter an end of life cycle and receive only critical fixes as of March 2013. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4.
Thanks for this notice.
I'll use that for any accounts that end up broken due to the switch, since it pushes the responsibility onto the script writers, and not the host running a secure server.

Remember that there are still a lot of people running old scripts of Wordpress and Joomla and other programs. Most don't upgrade.
I had to shut down the Joomla 1.0 sites on my server, and I am pushing the Joomla 1.5 sites to upgrade.

I actually can't believe how many Wordpress sites don't upgrade, when it is a simple click of a button.