The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show Ramping loads on an empty cPanel box ..driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpmws, Aug 13, 2004.

1. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

slowly Ramping loads on an empty cPanel box ..driving me nuts.

Hi guys. Took a ple*k RHE3 box that had 50 sites on it with like 5GB total traffic. Had server rebuilt to cPanel and I restored / converted sites to cpanel. Well the loads/ cpu starts out at nothing and just steadyly climbs to over 1.5. I try everything ..reboot and the cycle starts over. This takes a week or so to get in the 1.0 range. I noticed the mySQL process were not dropping so I put a cron job for mysql to restart every hour. That keeps the processes under 110. The memory usage is flat ..no spikes, no climb. Same with traffic (almost nothing) exim queue is flat at 30 emails.. Nothing is climbing except loads / cpu. The box has almost nothing happening on it yet the loads climb. see attched MRTG. Note the drops are when I reboot. I have tried cron jobs to restart just about everything and nothing helps.

I have noticed that this seems to be in TOP all the time at 99% CPU. It shows up like every 5 minutes.

99% /bin/grep -c [=-]> /var/log/exim_mainlog

The exim_mainlog is like 5MB on this box. I would think a reboot would not make the grep process any easier since the exim_mainlog is identical after a reboot right? or does it clear out and start growing again?

Attached Files:

#1 rpmws, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

well not sure ..but I see that process on all boxes if I watch long enough.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

mem useage stays steady and constant ..same box that used to be plesk without this problem. Not blaming cpanel here either ..only box I have ever seen this on. although seems that at 5am CDT the loads went to nothing and are staying there. see attachment. I have always had to reboot , this time did it all by itself. Not sure if it's climbing yet

Attached Files:

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

well this one is RHE3

But I have a RH9 box with one site on it that will go to .60 for a day and then boom back down to nothing for a day and back and forth. the MRTG graph looks like ..well I feel like an idiot. Look at this graph ..this is the RH9 box with one 1GB / month site on it. Only this one hasn't been rebooted in 110 days.

the CPUmonth image below is on the RH9 box. Looks like I am getting the same thing started on the RHE3 box I just started. My RH7.3 boxes that are fully loaded don't show this trend.

Attached Files:

#4 rpmws, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  5. Clay

Clay Member

Did anybody come up with why this happens? I've got the exact same problem.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I sure did ..if you are using MRTG? the rpm from gpan?

7. Clay

Clay Member

I've been using 2.9.17 from gpan forever. Never did it on my old RH7 box, but it does on my RHE3 machine.