The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Significant memory usage after upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzi4648, Mar 11, 2003.

1. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

I noticed a significant memory increase from S97 to S109 after last nights update on all our cPanel servers. Anyone notice?

2. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Well, last month we switched from ensim to cpanel. Memory usage has allways seem to be an issue for me on every server. I was actually told that it "wasnt" an issue with ensim. CPanel I couldnt tell you if it were an issue. Ensim allocated memory but didnt actually use it. Performance is good so i dont worry about it. On CPanel how ever it is very wierd because I use phpsysinfo on my sales site to check out server statistics. Memory usage is usually allways at 99% but within WHM on the service status its only showing like 12.6% usuage which is rather odd to me. Maybe its only showing how much "its" using and apache is hogging the rest? Those are questions I have never actually got answered to my satisfaction so anyone feal free to answer it

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    # free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 775584 743804 31780 0 92244 469256
    -/+ buffers/cache: 182304 593280
    Swap: 1566296 5056 1561240

If you look at the free command you'll notice that the system appears to have ~30Ms of ram free.

however if you look down the line you'll see that the system has allocated ~ 90Ms to buffers and about ~450Ms to cache. this memory is just used to speed things up, and it will be given back to applications as they request it. The idea is used all the memory that isn't in use to speed things up and give it back to the applications that need it as they request it.

next look down the the line below and you will see -/+ buffer/cache. This is how much is actually used by applications, and how much more can be allocated. While it looks like there is only 30Megs free, there is actually ~570Megs avalible for use if any application requests it.

4. NeutralGold

I got that, and thats just as i figured, the odd part is why is my swap file getting used even when the sevices tab still says low memory being used, thats the part that is confusing me. Not alot of swap is getting used, but its obvious that when somethigns reuquesting the memory, its not getting it

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I have noticed lately that I am swapping 2-3% but yet mem useage is 10% (phpsysinfo). This has changed recently. I used to see 10-12% mem and 0% swap always.

dual p3 1GB ram.

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    swap will be used by linux if something has sat in memory for a while and has not changed. This is a good thing since it makes more room for active processes to use the memory.

7. NeutralGold

ahhh, Good deal then, As i mentioned befor, my performance is allways great, so i never bothered myself with it other than a couple of questions. That explains it though, thanks for the input