The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Guestbook

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bert, Jun 11, 2002.

1. bert

bert Well-Known Member

None of the simple guestbooks on the cgi center are working on any of the servers. I have a few users complaining over this. I have run the cpanel update a few times, but does not help. The form takes an entry for the guestbook, but the links to show the guestbook and to manage it only bring a blank page.

2. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi,

In each account root there is a .guestbook file, check the permissions of this file.

We had this problem as the permissions are not set correctly, think it wants to be CHMOD 777.

Kind Regards,

Neil Wood
    UK Web.Solutions Direct

3. ukhost

ukhost Well-Known Member

Hi,

In each account root there is a .guestbook file, check the permissions of this file.

We had this problem as the permissions are not set correctly, think it wants to be CHMOD 777.

Kind Regards,

Neil Wood
    UK Web.Solutions Direct

4. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil, this worked, however we have 4 servers with the same problem on all accounts and it would take days to change permissions on all those files. Any ideas? Is there a command that would allow me to change permissions for all the files at the same time on a particular server? Is anyone else having this problem? Wonder why the permissions got changed on their own.

5. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Nick or anyone, is there a chance on writing a script that would correct these permissions?

6. justin

justin Member

Hi,

CPanel changes the permissions back to 755. 755 is ok if you are running suexec. If your not running suexec, then you have to chown the file to nobody

chown nobody .guestbook

Hope this helps :)

7. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured it was &tailored& for suexec. In any case giving it a nobody ownership or changing it to 777 works. I is just a little inconvenient ;)

8. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Well, once you've decided how you want the permissions or ownership of the files set, it will only take a second to correct it for all the files. ie:

chown nobody /home/*/.guestbook
    or
    chmod 777 /home/*/.guestbook

I suppose a script could evaluate the current states, but that may be overkill. YMMV.

- Jason

9. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know how to do it manually, I figured someone knew how to do a Perl script that would do this, but never mind, I will just write a shell script that will do this with cron every day or so.