The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since 11.32 my backups take twice as long.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gareth-AWD, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Gareth-AWD

Gareth-AWD Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Has anything changed in 11.32 with the backup system as my sites are now taking twice the time to backup.

2. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Same problem here, can't find an answer anywhere and my server supplier doesn't know either.

MY backups used to run in 4-5hours, yesterday and today they took 16 hours and caused high server load all day as they ran from 1am until 8pm!

When checking backup logs it shows "waiting for load to go down" "waiting for load to go down" so I guess that's delaying them.

There is 2 things, in tweak settings there is a load of settings for disk IO priority for backups etc. Maybe this has defaulted too low? There is also another setting where we can set more processors than we really have to fool cpbackup etc to thinking the load is not high.

I am persuming one of these will solve the problem, but it's really bad that there is no proper explanation of any of this, just short non-descriptive stuff in the cpanel documentation.

3. Gareth-AWD

Gareth-AWD Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mine turned out to be because of Logaholic. I disabled it and they are back to normal.

Another thing to check is your raid config. Check both hd are ok and in sync.

4. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Hi there, I get raid status updates at 4am each day and they are ok.

I've just done some tweaking and things are looking better so far tonight.
    For anyone else reading this, in tweak settings I set the stats and logs Extra CPUs for server load to double what I have, so if you have 2cpu's, set it to 4, this actually fools cpbackup into thinking the load is not high and so it doesn't pause. Obviously this will cause a high load on your server, but this is actually what we want, so we get the backups over and done with before morning!

Secondly we tweaked the system setting in tweak settings "I/O priority level at which nightly backups are run" and reduced the default 3 to 2, to give backups more priority.

With this info and Gareth's hopefully we have both helped others save some time!