The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single DNS Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Xuttuh, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Xuttuh

Xuttuh Registered

I am planning to rent a dedicated server, that comes with Cpanel/WHM. i'm looking to become a hoster but I need to get a question answered.

I am starting out with a single server, and also a single dns server. Are there any downsides with CPanel to only having one dns server like ensim does.

I understand the whole argument about having remote dns server, but if my master goes down, more than likely my server is down...

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

2. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

I'd still set up a secondary incase there are other issues and not necessarily the entire server. You could get a cheap server somewhere, perhaps a good provider that is having a special....I've heard of others picking up a small VPS package somewhere.

Additionally, if you plan on hosting sites and expect some growth, it will be easier to set up the secondary DNS now instead of worrying about it when you get your second server

3. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

I have a deal going with a friend, I host my primary nameserver, he hosts my secondary one, he hosts his primary one, I host his secondary one.

Maybe you could strike up something similar with someone?

4. Xuttuh

Xuttuh Registered

thanks for the tips guys.
    that helped a bunch.

Tim