The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single IP DNS setup with external DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Harikalar Kutusu, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Harikalar Kutusu

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I've been using cPanel VPS for years now but I faced a primitive setup issue with a new server. Until now I had dedicated 4 IPv4's and used 2 of them for DNS server. This hosting provider gives only one IP and I'm stuck. I'll use this box for multiple domains.

Assume:
    The machine is server1.mydomain.com
    Hosting provider DNS servers: ns1.hostingprovider.com, ns2.hostingprovider.com
    I did not move my main domain (www.mydomain.com) to this box yet !!!

I accidentally declared two non existent servers n1.mydomain.com and n2.mydomain.com, so when I copied several accounts to this server DNS zones are messed up (extra cleanup step for me).

Now I see the following options:

1) Server configuration => Basic cPanel & WHM Setup bottom Nameservers settings
    (set in initial WHM setup and had the faulty n1.mydomain.com and n2.mydomain.com, but I removed them).

2) Service configuration => Nameserver Selection:
    Set to "Disabled" as there will be no DNS server running

3) IP Functions => Configure Remote Service IP's => Remote Name Server IP's:
    I defined the IP adresses of ns1.hostingprovider.com and ns2.hostingprovider.com here.

4) Domain Name registrar:
    A test domain example.com's DNS servers are set to ns1.hostingprovider.com and ns2.hostingprovider.com

And I'm lost...

All information I could find is based on on-box DNS servers. Can you provide a link or help me?

Thanks in advance...

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You shouldn't encounter any configuration problems with using the same IP address for multiple name servers, and to host your websites. Simply follow the instructions found at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Harikalar Kutusu likes this.
  3. Harikalar Kutusu

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the answer Michael,

After some more reading I also decided to follow the same (and similar) documentation to give it a go. One problem was that WHM complained on using the same IP for the second Nameserver. A little DNS record editing was necessary after transfers anyway...

Some more struggle, and everything is fine now :)

Thanks again...

cPanelMichael likes this.
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator