The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single static IP and DNS settings.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chinmayv, Apr 27, 2011.

1. chinmayv

chinmayv Registered

Hi,
    I know that lot has been written about single static IP but I couldn't find any final answer to it.

I have a single static IP.
    I purchased domain from namecheap ( xyz.com)
    in that, I added nameservers (ns1.xyz.com & ns2.xyz.com) and pointed to my ip.
    I also forwared cpanel.xyz.com to same IP.

My question is how to make all this work. also when i created a test account and gave it name (test.xyz.com) it too is not resolving.
    also, if I use IP/~test it works. (not with cpanel.xyz.com/~test)

Any help(or pointers to other thread) would be appreciated.

--
    Chinmay

#1 chinmayv, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Chinmay,

When you state that you added nameservers, did you register those nameservers at your domain registrar (namecheap)? Did you also add those nameservers in WHM > cPanel & WHM Basic Setup area, then click "Add an A entry for this nameserver" button there to assign the IP address for the nameservers?

In WHM, you must add the nameservers and set the IP as well, since you need to create a DNS zone that contains the A record IP and NS entries for the nameservers.

Also, did you point the domain xyz.com to use those nameservers and create an account for xyz.com domain on the server?

Thanks!

3. chinmayv

chinmayv Registered

Hi, Thanks for quick reply.

Yes I registered the nameservers. And i checked at
    Internic | Whois
    (ns1.chinmayv.com), (ns2.chinmayv.com)

However if I do nslookup, it says SERVFAIL.

And yes i pointed the domain to my nameservers.
    From internal interface of router I am able to access all the hosted sites, but, from external world I am unable to do it.

I am behind NAT (so will that cause a problem?).

4. chinmayv

chinmayv Registered

Hello,
    Thanks for quick reply

Yes, I registered the namerservers (and then checked at Internic | Whois) (ns1.chinmayv.com and ns2)

From internal IPs (inside of router) I am able to access all the hosted sites but from external world I am unable to do it.

I am behind NAT, will that cause a problem? I have mapped
    192.168.1.2 = ns1
    192.168.1.3 = ns2

and mapped both of it to external IP.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Being behind a NAT will cause an issue, since cPanel doesn't support a NAT-based setup. Noting you are using a NAT is the single most important point to state initially, since it has a huge impact on your settings.

You cannot map your nameservers to the backend IPs for the DNS zones. You must map them in the DNS zones to the frontend IPs, because Apache uses the backend IPs but DNS (named and BIND) require the frontend IPs. If you are using the backend IPs in the DNS zone, please change to the frontend IPs instead.

As for the sites, you need to have the DNS zones for those sites set to use the frontend IPs but the Apache configuration set to use the backend IPs.

Here is a prior forum discussion on using NAT with cPanel where I (using my non-staff account at the time) talked about setting the zone templates to use the frontend IP that has to be hard-coded while still maintaining the backend IP for all other configurations such as Apache:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/using-cpanel-nat-urgent-39978.html#post671342