The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site backup and restore problems with MySQL databases

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Glassparman, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Glassparman

Glassparman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My hosting company is using cPanel Pro 1.0 RC1. They claim that there is nothing wrong with their backups in cPanel but every MySQL database backup I have downloaded is incomplete. It looks like most normal exported sql files like you would see if you used phpmyadmin.

The problem is that it is missing 95% of the "insert into" commands and thus missing the data to rebuild the database with if you needed to.

They keep telling me that it is my problem and that the backups are "courtesy" backups and that the scripts work just fine.

The sql file should be 75000 lines for my database but instead it is only 5000 lines.

Is there someplace to configure some command line options that will control the MySQL backups?? :eek:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Can you explain exactly how you're generating the backup with the issues? I'd like to try and reproduce this if possible.

For the record, cPanel Pro 1.0 RC1 was something that has since been deprecated and the features it provided are now standard as I know of it. On the left menu in cPanel a few lines above where it says cPanel Pro you should see an item titled cPanel Version, that's the version of cPanel of interest here.

3. Glassparman

Glassparman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Infopro, that is the version that bluehost.com is using. I got that version number from right where you said.

As for the backup issue, I figured it out. There is nothing wrong with the MySQL backups. I kept looking at the file size and it seem OK. It was only when I would go in and view the data that it looked like it was missing most of the "insert into" lines with the data.

It turns out that everything is there. Instead of having the following:

INSERT INTO `blah blah blah' (blah, blah, blah) VALUES (blah, blah, blah);
    (data, data),
    (data, data),
    (data, data),
    (data, data),
    (data, data),
    (data, data);

It had something like this:

INSERT INTO `blah blah blah' (blah, blah, blah) VALUES (blah, blah, blah);(data, data),(data, data),(data, data),(data,data),data, data),(data, data);

So it turns out that the data is there, there just are not any carraige returns on each line. I was expecting a file that had 75000 lines but when I looked in the file, there was only 5000 lines.

I never thought of scrolling to the right. That file was extremely large when scrolling horizontally so that is what threw me off. It had 23,000 forum posts to restore in the DB and it was all crammed into 5 lines. I finally just happened to start scrolling to the right when I saw the rest.

Lessen learned!

Michael