The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site not working after restoring from backup

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by burolli, Feb 15, 2017.

1. burolli

burolli Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I pay for a certain amount of GB at my horrible web host and I found out that they put all kinds of restrictions on the data size on my website. I went to change the max upload size to MB and found out that even when I change it on my site, it doesn't work because the web host has set restrictions. I'm sorry but when I pay you for XX or XXX GB for my site I'm paying you for that for my site, you have no business restricting my own website when I'm paying you for a certain amount of GB. So I read some guides and after their php.ini guide didn't work I tried to fix this by creating a blank .htaccess file and copy pasting the guide's code there. That destroyed my website which extra sucked because I scheduled the grand opening for Valentine's Day. After my site was destroyed I installed it from the backup aaaaand my site is still down. The web host hasn't done anything to it, it's just still screwed up from that blank file I created and edited as per the guide's instructions. So what am I supposed to do? My site has been down for about 4 days now and without even saying I was tinkering with .files the web host won't email me back with support. Like I said, horrible web host.

I can see in the backup that my site and all my plugins etc. are there (whew!) but even restored my site is down, and all the files are correct. This backup was made before the disaster so I don't understand how it's even possible for this not to work.

#1 burolli, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is this file still on your account? Try renaming it to htaccess.txt, which will kill it from working. Does the site come up then?

3. burolli

burolli Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Didn't work, so after more hours if doing my own tech support I gave up and got a new web host. I've used their Softaculous to install the site I had again and I'll install the backup when the site is live.