Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Site suspensions - Mail list stays up?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by superiorhost, Mar 14, 2002.

1. superiorhost

superiorhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    I have a site that was really blasting some lists out. i suspended the site to calm the server.. cleared their lists from the mailman Q...

However,,, before I turned the site back on, (a couple hours later) his list is able to be accessed, and users are still sending to the discussion list.

How do you suspend a users mailman list ???
    Suspending the site did nothing.

Thanks,

Tim L

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Manually, you can go into the shell as root, into /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/LISTINQUESTION

Inside its directory, do
    chmod 0000 *
    chown root.root *
    chattr +i *

That will suspend it :p
    If this is a bug in the suspension portion of WHManager, then it belongs in a bugzilla ID.

Peace/word/etc

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. superiorhost

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks feanor,

Can someone verify it does this in their server too... I would hate to turn in a bug report to find that it is a local issue.

Tim L

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

Actually I don't think cpanel suspends recieving mail as the general idea is to hope the user pays their bill so they can get access to their mail. Anyways a bugzilla id should be opened if you want someone like a checkbox that will suspend their mail as well.

5. superiorhost

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Nick,
    I wasn't meaning mail in general... just the mailman lists of a suspended account.

The problem is that the mail lists are running verry un-nice... taking server cpu usage over 5.0, and drastically slowing the server.

When I suspended his site, the discussion list kept working, thus the problem was still there with the site suspened.

From what I can tell, it looks like the list goes out to only 400+ people.. the customer says he only has about 70 on one and 100 on the other list.. is ther a way I can tell for sure?

When looking at ..../mailmain/logs area this seems to be about the numbers. But it is hitting the cpu hard, and are active discussions, so several runs a day to the one list.

I doubt there is a way for me to set them to a nicer setting. Perhaps a cpanel team could make the nice etting on the mailman lists run at about 18 to 20 ...

Sounds good that a users email is not killed if the site is suspended... I didn't realize that before. But it is the mail list that seems to be the trouble maker here.

Any input would be apreciated.

Tim L