The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sitebuilder from SW-Soft

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by torwill, Dec 26, 2004.

1. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

Anyone tried SiteBuilder from SW-Soft on Cpanel servers?

Thank you, :)

2. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

nope not yet... would like a site builder to offer customers that was "built in" or even integratable to cpanel so when accounts are created the clients can use the site builder right away.

If any one has anything like that let me know plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... interested in the swsoft one to see if that can do something similar

3. bashprompt18

bashprompt18 Active Member

Site Zen www.sitemagix.com is setup so you can have all customers active
    and they use there cpanel login to get into it, it uses system accounts like
    cpanel does. They are talking about Cpanel Intergration now and are Very
    nice people to deal with. I have been emailing with them for a few weeks
    and finaly have a full blown Site zen installed and working for my customers
    I love it.

4. EMS

EMS BANNED

Got as far as...

httpd is needed by Sitebuilder-2.1.0-fc3.build050915.20.i386
    php >= 4.3 is needed by Sitebuilder-2.1.0-fc3.build050915.20.i386
    php-domxml is needed by Sitebuilder-2.1.0-fc3.build050915.20.i386
    php-gd is needed by Sitebuilder-2.1.0-fc3.build050915.20.i386
    php-mysql is needed by Sitebuilder-2.1.0-fc3.build050915.20.i386

hmm.. ok

5. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I will say it is a royal PITA to get it working properly on a cpanel server. You can pay them $150 to do the install for you, but they nearly managed to toast one of my test servers and it took them days to get it working properly and even then I ended up having to do and redo half of the install process.

My advice: stay away from it for now if you don't have a Plesk server. There are several other choices that are easier to install/integrate.

6. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

One of my customers had sw-soft install Sitebuilder for them and even then it was a total debacle. Make sure you are running _exactly_ was sw-soft requires or they will back away until you install the required software. http://www.swsoft.com/en/sitebuilder2/reqs/

Tom

7. EMS

EMS BANNED

Finally got it working after many headaches and some help from another admin - I say working but its not really workng properly. There are about 4 or 5 individual issues remaining that I cant iron out.

I've given up now - just about to delete the lot.

I'd also advise staying well away form it until/unless plesk or someone can create a working cpanel install for it.

Your experience and mine doesnt surprise me. I've had the great displeasure of using swsoft products in the past and ive never come across so many problems and bugs in my life. We tested their windows plesk and it was barely good enough to be in beta testing let alone a full retail version.

Can anyone recommend a good sitebuilder product ?

We've tried lots of them but there isnt one that has impressed me enough yet to use.

8. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I can only vouch for those I've tried... psoft.net's SiteStudio works on all computer on all browsers and is easy to use and fairly polished, but its not the world's easiest install (though it is sooooo much easier then SiteBuilder). It requires java and requires a non standard port be opened for its use (by default 8080, but that can be changed). I find the product easy to use and fairly full featured, but it is somewhat limited so I find users often outgrow it pretty quickly. The code it creates won't win any awards, either. The product can be integrated with CPANEL's user database if you want so all accounts instantly have access to SiteStudio.

Soholaunch is expensive and only works properly for creating sites on a PC using Internet Explorer. It is in Fantastico, though so installation is pretty easy. I can't use the product since I refuse to use IE on a PC.

Drag and drop site creator isn't all that polished yet and it does take some work to get it installed. In addition the documentation is horrible, so that doesn't help. It's a fairly new product and I'm sure the install process and documentation will improve over time. The developers are reasonably responsive and once you've got it running, it is very flexible. It is one of the few sitebuilders I know of that can accept modules of other popular scripts (so you can install Gallery or phpBB while working with D&DSC. It also works on all browsers and platforms.

One I just recently found but haven't tried yet is sitebuildercx. http://sitebuildercx.com/ From what I read it looks pretty good, though the up-front and yearly cost is fairly expensive (but not as bad as it seems since it allows unlimited domains per server). It seems fairly easy to install and it seems they have a web-based installer to do it for you if you want. The demo seems fairly polished and the system seems flexible (though perhaps not as much as D&DSC). It also works on most browsers and all platforms. I'll probably be trying it next. There is one thing that I don't like... here is a product that is designed for use with CPANEL and it doesn't use feature lists to allow you to give access to the site builder to only certain people. Right now you have to either give everyone access OR assign those people you want to have access to their special sitebuildercx CPANEL theme. One plus is that it is pretty easy to add your own templates.

9. EMS

EMS BANNED

Ive tested all of those and can pretty much echo most of your comments.

I found the templates in sitestudio very old fashioned and dated looking. The attreaction to sitebuilder has been the new modern looking templates.

Looking at sitebuilder cx now - looks good !

10. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Ditto.

However, I do believe that Kosmo has mentioned that they are planning to add a simple site builder to Fantastico.

11. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Netenberg will indeed come out with a simple site builder script at some point (perhaps around the end of this year or the first month or two of 2006) but it's not going to be a full WYSIWYG editor, but between that and Templates Express it will probably make many people happy.

As for sitebuildercx, I've just tried it and it's not perfect, but I'm of the opinion that it is the best choice for cPanel hosts. Installation takes minutes and can be completely automated (though it does require executing one install script via shell).

The Sitebuildercx CPANEL theme is OK, but it doesn't support third-party addons. The integration with XSkin works well, though.

In addition, the sitebuilder is not perhaps as simple to follow as the sw-soft product, but it appears to work fine in almost every browser and is quite flexible. There are a few things I would change (like a popup warning when you click CLOSE when working on a page (which DOES NOT save the work you are doing). All-in-all, though it is quite nice.

Plus you can buy it and have it installed and be using it on your domains in less than 15 minutes. For those that hate to wait, it's a nice touch.

Big bonus points for not having to jump through flaming hoops to get it installed! :)

Like I said, though... it's not cheap.

12. EMS

EMS BANNED

Sitebulder cx offer a monthly "per server" licensing option if you ask them but its still a bit too pricey for us as we have a lot of servers. I guess its a question of whether we would want to make some money out of it or use it as a value add / purchase incentive for all customers.

My only other criticism is that there is no rebrand option. As far as I can see, you cant upload your own logo and I'm not over impressed with the design in the header, looks a bit tacky.

This cpanel theme is somewhat confusing too, We use RVskin and wouldnt want to use their theme. I dont know if the sitebuilder cx product could be added to the control panel at all.

I'll certainly be keeping my eye on that one though.

There is another product we have used, sitecenter by interspire. It looks nice and clean - works well (but only in IE) its re-brandable.

Bad points are...

Expensive
    No modules such as gallery, cart etc
    Small number of templates - all look roughly the same
    Editable areas are very restrictive
    Cant edit meta tags in their standard templates
    logo feature doesnt work very well.

I wouldnt recommend it.

13. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You can upload your own logo into sitebuildercx and with some work could likely redo the entire header. The logo is definitely simple to add (they even offer the ability to upload your custom logo and have it installed with the automated remote installer/upgrader).

As for adding it to RVSKIN, it isn't done by default, but wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. When I get around to adding it, I'll post some directions to this thread.

It would be difficult to integrate with other themes (with the possible exception of cPanel XP Evo) however.

The last item I would point out is that the product is not created by native English speakers and although the English language file for sitebuildercx is pretty good, you do occasionally get odd phrases like "site statistic."

14. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

RV SiteBuilder is what exactly you want. But it is not available yet. :p
    I am going to launch the BETA test for any interested person on mid-November. The release version should be ready on mid-December or January. It is fully integrated with cPanel. It will be Addon Module same like Fantastico, RV Skin, and etc. So you can control which package user can use through WHM feature manager (or RV Skin Manager if it is availble). WYSIWYG editor works on both IE5.5+ and Firfox1.0+. I believe that other browsers such as opera and netscape navigator 6.0+ also work fine. It can be used to create any LTR languages. RTL is not supported yet. Interface for the program itself can be translated to other languages. Snapshot is here:
    http://rvsitebuilder.com/snapshot.html

The software is server-wide. But the license is per hosting account/month (unlimited accounts on a single server is also availble). Low cost start up. 10 user-license is minimum, and count toward to the real usage. No need to pay the hundreads or thounsounds dollars for stiebuilder. No need to pay another hundread for installation. Installation is very easy. I am deciding its pricing. What's the acceptable price/hosting account/month you willing to pay? Given that we will add at least 10 new templates to the system per month. Each template comprise of 3 colors and 2 pictures for tweaking. So you get 60 different styles in total/month. Within 2 years it will be 300 templates or 1,800 styles.

15. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    A few thoughts for you:

1) Allow admins to edit/create language files for the site builder
    2) The site builder needs to work well in all modern browsers. If it won't operate properly in any browser but IE or Mozilla/Firefox then you're going to alienate part of your potential userbase
    3) Adding your own templates should not require a PhD ;)
    4) The site builder should be flexible and the admin should be able to create "packages" of sitebuilder features and limitations for each end user. (So, for example users could pay more to add extra pages to their site or access more templates, etc.)
    5) Your site builder should completely separate content from design. The user should be able to change the template their site uses at any time. Content should attempt to rearrange itself to fit the new template (or the various components should at least go back into a "holding tank" where they could be rearranged to the new look on each page.
    6) The site builder should do its best to maintain content, even if it hasn't yet been published or saved yet. This way users won't loose an hour's worth of work on their site when their browser or computer crashes even if they haven't published or saved the page yet.

16. EMS

EMS BANNED

If Poirote is involved, I'm sure it will be great ! Consider the ever useful and ever growing features of rvskin, if his sitebuilder is as innovative and feature rich I'm sure it will be a winner. I'll be looking out for that with great interest and I'm sure many others will be too.

17. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The biggest reason why we would not use/provide any of today's SiteBuilder's is due to the crappy HTML code they all seem to produce. Bad enough that many people are creating sites with bad code, all on their own, no need to help people produce more of them. ;)

Perhaps one day, one of these online Web page creation scripts will get it right. Until then, though, we'll stick to doing them by hand.

18. EMS

EMS BANNED

Sitebuldercx has disappeared. Website has been unnavailable for a few days - same for their main company site at comdevweb.com

19. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I see both just fine. It may be a localized issue from your location.

20. EMS

EMS BANNED

It's back.