The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin Encryption

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by revoshift, Jun 16, 2003.

1. revoshift

revoshift Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering how can i encrypt the sourcecode of my skins.
    To help publisise my skins I plan to release a MailOnly skin which I do not want modyfing (As it will be avaliable free of charge). I want to encypt it so that its hard for people to modyfy the skin for their own means.

UPDATE:
    Here is a screenshot of the skin, it uses the graphics from a skin called Basic Instinct which is having completly new graphics done.

MailOnly Skin Screenshot:
    www.cpanel-depot.com/mailonly.JPG

I have also decided to make this MailOnly skin donation ware, people who make donations over $10 will get a unencypted version of the skin sent to them so that they can modyfy it for personal use

Jonathan

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 revoshift, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  2. spiraltechnics

spiraltechnics Active Member

Well there are a few ways, but none of them is really gonna be full proof. Javascript would be the easiest way. As you may know another skins had tired this, and was unsuccessfyll un doing so.

Having someone steal and use your code is unlawful. You best defense is gonna be leagal action and declaration of intent to prosecute against unathorized use of your code. Protecting you HTML code and images is extrememly dificult task to do with much success. If someone wants to steal you code, they will find a way.

Many people have used coding from other skins in here mainly because were able to modfiy under the lisence. I dont think you will have too much trouble if your license explicitly states it may not be modified or redistributed in anyway.

Good luck with it

3. revoshift

damn, i will open a new thread to release the theme in then

Jonathan

4. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I would have to disagree 100% with spiraltechnics. As you can see, our skins were unencrypted and redistributed without our consent.

It is true that having someone steal and use your code is unlawful, but are you willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to prosecute a 13 year-old kid who doesn't know the different between jerking off and stealing code?

All I can say is good luck to you :rolleyes:

5. webmotion

webmotion Well-Known Member

I have some decent methods of encryption that cannot be decrypted using some of the basic methods, need suggestions or help PM me.

6. revoshift

i sent you a pm, also i was wondering if anyone has a cpanel skin license i can look at as i need something to base my license for this skin on. (Preferable one for a free skin)

Jonathan

#6 revoshift, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  7. volize

volize Member

Simple answer, you cant encrypt..

8. eStudios

eStudios Active Member

If you know some languages besides HTML I am sure if you tried you could come up with a small basic encryption for yourself. I mean I know it may not be something compared to being encrypted by like Zend but it would do and simple javascript decryption scripts wouldn't be able to decrypt it.

I do have a program that encrypts text but that is also not 100% fullproof 'cause I have decrypted my own source code with it before using various methods that I know how. But, to tell you the truth, I haven't seen this program used hardly at all to encrypt sources so it may become useful to you, or it may not. If you would like it, just pm me.

Good Day

9. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    checkout ionCube

10. HostDime

HostDime Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Even the greatest in Java script encryption (from what I've seen) can Just be copied and pasted into FrontPage, works for me, when Im unencrypting items made in Carbosource, etc. :rolleyes: