The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skins Etiquette for Software Vendors

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by magixman, Mar 18, 2005.

1. magixman

magixman Member

Sep 28, 2002
    I am trying to integrate our site builder with the cPanel user interface. It does everything else well with cPanel including pulling package information and automatically provisioning itself based on cPanel packages. The only (embarrasing) thing it does not do with cPanel is provide an ICON in the control panel so users don't have to enter a URL to get to it.

I now have the following:

- An ICON suitable for most skins
    - An html snippet suitable for including in ICON and text based skins.
    - A small piece of PHP that securely authenticates and launches the site builder

I have tried all this out with the skins that come with cPanel by modifying them and it all works fine. So the question is how I go about distributing this with my software. My install script adds symlinks to all skins to make these components available.

Then the question is how to get them into the skins. I could just modify the skins via a housekeeping thread that I have but I fear I could really hose things up if skins were to change. Needless to say this would not help me with third party skins which don’t have the ability to incorporate custom icons.

I was able to integrate my software with Direct Admin in about two hours because they have a plug-in API that is independent of skins. It seems that either I have missed something really obvious or else cPanel has no such feature.

I do notice that X and X2 include of cells/*.html by simply putting my snippets in that directory I am able to work with X and not have to modify any skin code. This is a very nice idea and if structured into all skins would get one towards a plug-in architecture.

I believe that Fantastico depends on skin vendors and cPanel to include snippets in the skins.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.