The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skins For Email Users

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by secureID, Apr 28, 2004.

1. secureID

secureID Well-Known Member

How do I assign a skin to a user with an email account? In cPanel I maintain the main account for domain.com. Within domain.com I have 50 email account holders each with varying degrees of account needs. For example a couple of the email account holders would need access to view Web Stats (Webalizer, etc.) while others are site developers and need access to MySQL. Each email user should be able to change their own password and set their own autoresponder. And so on. How do I configure this to happen or is this an enhancement request?

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Do you have access to the servers WHM either full or reseller?

3. secureID

I configured WHM and cPanel on the server and setup all the accounts.

4. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

OK. I think this may help you out.

In WHM you can create packages with skins and package features that you can give to your clients. If some clients need some features and others don't then you can achieve this in WHM.

Use the menu item Packages to create what you need.

Start by creating a new test account that you can use to experiment with packages and the Package Manager features.

You can edit packages as well as create/delete new ones from this menu item.

Keep looking at how your changes are being reflected in your test accounts cPanel.

When you are happy, then create packages/features for those clients with specific needs.

Then in Account Functions/List Accounts you can easily change each account and give it the new packages complete with their own feature sets by selecting the relevant little 'edit' icons.

If you can't follow this then just experiment with the Packages/Feature Manager menu items. Give each package/feature a unique name so you can keep track of them. Don't change the default values unless you give the changed default a new name. This way you will always have a point to return to and start over.
    Good luck and IHTH

5. secureID

Let me ask this (because this is what I am trying to do):

in cPanel I already have an account for thisdomain.com with the username "admin" and "x skin" assigned to it. I then logged into into cPanel as "admin" -- no problem.

I created an email account for joe@thisdomain.com.

How do I give joe@thisdomain.com a skin so he can log in and use cPanel to change his email password, add/mod an autoresponder, create email aliases & forwards, logon to Webmail, get Webstats, use MySQL, etc.for his account only?

6. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Hello again ;)

Email accounts are simply email accounts and are not seperate cPanel sub-accounts. There is no way to assign a skin or even a unique cPanel configuration to an email account holder. That is not the model that cPanel uses. There is no MySQL or WebStats specific to an individual email account. Those resources are assigned per cPanel account. That is because the cPanel account is the system user account that has ownership of those resources. There is no way to assign ownership to indivdual email account holders within a cPanel account.

Email account holders can log-in to webmail using the webmail interface. You can also setup FTP accounts that permit users access to specific folders. You can setup WebStats and/or phpMyAdmin outside of cpanel in a .htaccess protected directory and allow access based on email account /password (manually managed).

7. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't think it is possible to give different clients a seperate access to thisdomain.com cPanel without giving them access to all email accounts and facilities of thisdomain.com.

If I am wrong then someone will post and correct me.

You will have to create a separate account for each client you want to give a cPanel (skin) to in WHM like in my previous post.

Edit:
    You may want to try experimenting with subdomains and see if you can get it to do want you want to do. I have not looked at that aspect. So you may want to give it a try.

#7 Izzee, Apr 28, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  8. secureID

So how does an email user change his password, create aliases/forwards, and maintain his autoresponder?

9. secureID

Izzee, so once you create an email account through cPanel, you need to go back in WHM and create the same account so they can log into cPanel? I don't get it. It seems redundant and administratively burdensome. It sounds to me like I need to build my own control panel? I still fail to see the value of cPanel beyond simple "main account" management. End users get no benefit or use out of cPanel then? I as account administrator become the bottleneck because if a user wants to have his/her password change -- they must contact me? If a user wants to have his/her email alias & forward change -- they must contact me too? If a user wants to have his/her autoresponder changes -- they must contact me as well?

10. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

That looks like about the gist of it.

In whm you can create a subdomain account called joe.yourdomain.com and give it a cPanel package/feature.
    This should not be done via your cPanel subdomain menu only in whm. Give that a try.

11. secureID

Clearly I have unique needs that can't seemed to be met by the cPanel. We'll continue to do the "the old fashion way".

12. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

I just checked what page was revealed when you entered the webmail interface in the url. I think most of your needs have been met except the ability to access ftp/mysql etc.

http://yourdomain.com/webmail
    enter username: joe@yourdomain.com
    enter password: joespassword
    The opening window will have the 3 webmail programs and at the bottom of the page are menu items for:
    [Change Password] [Forwarding Options] [Autoresponder Options] [BoxTrapper] [Logout]

13. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

SarcNBit (I commend your exreme patience) just spent a long time over at the Rvsin forums answering in great detail what you have just duplicated here with the same lack of comprehension and reluctance to absorb the facts.

Clearly because you have a unique need you should start doing your own code for your own control panel skin...then you could be the one to get the "rave reviews" when you produce this skin - but I won't hold my breath waiting for you to motivate.

For those wishing to read the diatribe over in the Rvskin forum you will find the thread here:
    [b]http://forums.rvskin.com/index.php?showtopic=281[/b]
    He uses dot as his Rvskin forum handle.

14. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

No. You aren't getting it. The email accounts you create are specific to the cPanel account you created them in. If you created a new cPanel account (via WHM) then the user would not be seeing the original cPanel account and would not be able to manage their account.

You may be coming from an environment where email accounts were used as logins for everything. Please scrap that way of thinking. Email accounts are simply components of a cPanel account. They apply to email and that is it.

Email users can manage their email accounts via the webmail interface (/webmail , :2095 or , :2096) but I think you have that one figured out ;)

I made three or four attempts to get him to bring the dialogue here and you are sending people back! :mad:

LOL j/k :D :p

This really is a more appropriate forum for this type of discussion.

RVSkin is a wonderful package, but he needs to understand the workings of WHM/cPanel a little better to appreciate it.