Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

skip "choose a default webmail application" screen - log directly into webmail

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by USA_Webmaster, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. USA_Webmaster

USA_Webmaster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do I force-skip the "choose a default webmail application" splash landing page and just make cPanel user go directly to RoundCube?

If a cPanel user goes to Email Accounts and tries to access webmail (from the more dropdown box), they are redirected to a "Choose a Default Webmail Application" splash page. There is technically only one webmail client enabled.

Only Roundcube is enabled, both Horde and Squirrel webmail clients have been disabled.

Home »Server Configuration »Tweak Settings» Mail

- Removed -

p.s. - it doesn't have to be RoundCube, maybe, instead it is just Horde Webmail (or SquirrelMail).

#1 USA_Webmaster, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Please attach images to your posts instead of linking from outside resources.

When you click the link to make Horde your default client, the system adds a file here:
    /home/username/.cpanel/youremail@domain.com_default_webmail_app
    It has one entry in it:
    horde

If that file exists for that email account, you're sent directly to the horde interface.

USA_Webmaster likes this.
  3. USA_Webmaster

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Odd, that file does not exist. The only link(s) I clicked, as a WHM root admin, was setting default client according to WHM Server Configuration »Tweak Settings» Mail

Here is a user walk-thru, for I what I desire:
    1. Tom logs into brand new cPanel account
    2. Tom creates new email account using "Add Email Account" form on ".../mail/pops.html" page
    3. After Tom clicks "Create Account" button he scrolls down the page, and clicks the "more" button and than clicks again "access webmail"
    4. Tom is not redirected directly to default webmail client that is configured in WHM Mail Tweaks, instead, he lands on a splash page.
    5. Tom is confused, he just wants to log directly into webmail, no splash pages and no more clicking.
    How do I skip splash page?

must I edit theme file \cpanel\base\frontend\paper_lantern\mail\archive_list.html.tt ?

Attached Files:

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The functionality you are seeking isn't offered, however I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request for this at:

default webmail without prompt

Thank you.

USA_Webmaster likes this.
  5. USA_Webmaster

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What a waste of time, voting. It's like asking for a feature, that'll never get integrated and if it does, it'll take months.

All because of slop code. Learn to code and make things do what they should do and this "feature request" wouldn't be required.

Think about it. I set default client, in WHM, there is only one client.. why wouldn't that the default webmail client? Trash code.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @USA_Webmaster,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback.

This was reported as a flaw in the past as part of internal case CPANEL-2106, however it was determined the behavior was by-design because it's possible to configure more than just webmail clients for the default page that opens when accessing the Webmail interface for an email account. For instance, some users may prefer "Configure Mail Client" or "Password and Security" as the default page that initially loads:

webmail.png

That said, I do see the benefit to adding an option to automatically load a specific Webmail application by default for all email accounts. I've voted for the feature request:

default webmail without prompt

Note that feature requests with just a few votes are still considered, and comments you leave on the request allow us to better understand how much a feature might benefit the product.

As far as a workaround, I believe the correct file path when editing the default webmail page for existing email accounts is:

Code:
    /home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/user@domain_tld_default_webmail_app
    You'd need to develop a script that automatically populates that file with name of a specific webmail application and then run the custom script as part of hook that automatically runs post email account creation. More information on standardized hooks is available at:

Guide to Standardized Hooks - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

Since this would be a cPanel function, you may also find these document helpful:

Guide to Standardized Hooks - Cpanel Functions - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation
    UAPI Functions - Email::add_pop - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.