The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slave DNS servers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by vivitec, May 4, 2005.

1. vivitec

vivitec Registered

Apr 28, 2005
    I'm very new to cpanel, buthave been running DNS servers, webservers etc for 10+ years (old UNIX sysadmin) - our company is just starting to use cpanel for our lowend webhosting, and the powers that be have decreed that we shall use the cpanel DNS to setup DNS zone files on our cpanel server. With some reservations (it seems that cpanel recommends having multiple DNS servers on the same hardware, I hope I misunderstood that part and that it's really an option of last resort) here's what I'm trying to do :

I have a number of other servers, and we have one IP address allocated to our cpanel server (running in VMware on a RHEL 3 ES box), and I want to use our other main DNS server to be a slave to the zones on the cpanel server - but it already has a large number of zones etc and I am not going to run the WHM DNS only script on one of my production servers with some hundred or so zonefiles and websites on it!

So, I had a bit of a poke around, and found the script "makesecondarydns" in /scripts, which does a pretty crude master -> slave translation for named.conf, which I can then chop up with my own script and scp or similar to my other DNS server, include it into my other named.conf file and reload named on the other server, and then things will work ok.

I realise that this is unsupported, but is anyone else doing something similar and has any war stories to share? Any caveats? Does cpanel clean out /usr/local/bin every now and then without warning?

Where is the makesecondary (and the original named.conf master) getting its template from in the first place? Can I put comments in /etc/named.conf and will they be persistant, so my script can be simpler, if I just look for a flag in named.conf, rather than having to skip zonefiles I don't want/need to copy etc?