Slave name server big problem, please help...

x-man

Jan 25, 2004
I try to setup SLAVE name server on new server but I have big problem, every time when I restart BIND this is error:

transfer of 'domain.com/IN' from 66.28.xxx.xxx#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied

or error is "REFUSED"

This is what I added in named.conf to server 1 (master name server hosted on that server):

zone "domain.com" {
type master;
file "/var/named/domain.com.db";
allow-transfer { 66.79.xx.xx; 66.79.xx.xx;}; (this is what I added to default named.conf)
};

And this is what I added in named.conf to server 2 (slave name server hosted on that server):

- first I added zone for domain.com in WHM
- after that I added this to named.conf:

options {
directory "/var/named";
dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
allow-notify {66.28.xx.xx;}; (this is what I added)

};

and in zone for domain.com:

zone "domain.com" {
type slave;
file "/var/named/domain.com.db";
masters {66.28.xx.xx;};
};

after this restarted BIND on server 1 and server 2 and every time I have error on server 2 (slave name server)...

Somebody know what is problem?? Something more I must change in named.conf or...?

I hope so that somebody can help to me...

Thanks.

Sorry if my english bad.

nickb

Feb 25, 2005
India
Make sure that named has write access on the directory containing the file on the slave server i.e. /var/named/. Named writes the new cache file to a temporary file then renames it to the name specified in named.conf to ensure that the contents are always complete. This is to prevent named loading a partial zone in the event of power failure or similar interrupting the write of the master file.

x-man

Jan 25, 2004
Yes, problem is in that...now I changed chmod for folder 'named' and all work fine!!

Thank you.