The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"slave server" / "slave nameserver" for VPS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by basic, Dec 16, 2005.

1. basic

basic Active Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Hello All:

Naturally there are many posts relating to DNS setup. I have a very basic question that I could not find the answer to, although I am sure it is SOMEHWERE posted here.

THE AIM:
    For a server with Virtuozzo VPS accounts I like to set the cPanel VPS accounts up so they can use nameservers set up on another (Plesk) VPS account on the same server. This means I have 1 x Plesk VPS with its own nameservers set up, and I like the other 9 cPanel VPS to use these nameservers.

What I am not yet sure about is the difference (is there any) between "clustering" and creating a "slave server". The cPanel install guide states:
    "14 Enter the IP address of the master nameserver in the Master Nameserver field, if required.
    Warning: This will turn your server into a slave server if this option is enabled. It is advisable to establish a key rust relationship with the master nameserver after enabling this option - refer to Establishing a trust relationship for more information."

If I enter the main shared IP of the other Plesk VPS whose nameserver I want to use for the the cPanel VPS ... other than entering this IP, what else do I need to do, AND is this the way to do it?
    Do I need to do anthing in WHM's "Dns Clustering" page? If so, what?