The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow speeds...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saeed, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Saeed

Saeed Active Member

Hi,

We just got a new server in a UK datacenter (we're in Sweden ourselves) and the speed is just awesome both from home and our office (difference ISPs). Pings are about 30-40ms and websites load in a flash. SSH feels just like if the server was right next to us.

Tthe speed problems is with FTP and SSL (from home). Both are extremely slow to the UK server. We also have a few servers in US and we don't have any speed problems there. The traceroute is perfect. We've checked /etc/resolv.conf and also tried different nameservers just in case one would be bad. We've also tried PureFTP and ProFTPd without any result.

Anyone know what else could be causing this?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have noticed this with my own DC (which I have verified that's where the problem is) as it seems they have purposely put a delay when connecting to certain ports. Or, there is a problem with PAM authentication, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

For faster FTP access try using the base IP address of the Server.

For checking if PAM is the problem, run:

tail -f /var/log/messages

and watch the ouput as you try using FTP or SSL access. If you see "authentication" errors, that could be where the problem is. And if you figure out the answer, let me know. ;)

3. Saeed

Saeed Active Member

Hello Rob,

As I mentioned in my post, the speeds are just fine from our office (different ISP), it is at home we are experiencing problems. Also from home, the speeds are just fine to our other servers in other datacenters. I checked the logs and the only thing I found that might be of interest is...

Sep 14 01:01:15 merlin filelimits: Increasing file system limits succeeded

But I doubt that would be causing slowness.

4. JCave

JCave Well-Known Member

My SSL started to respond slowly, before messages wouldnt show anything, but now when I use SSL I get the following:

Dec 1 23:05:07 server kernel: application bug: services(1859) has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
    Dec 1 23:05:07 server kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait'). Workaround activated.

Then when ssl starts sending something I get:
    Dec 1 23:06:19 server filelimits: Increasing file system limits succeeded

If anyone knows any fixes, please let me know as well :)

Thanks