The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowest Loading / Least Usable Page in cPanel/WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cPanelNick, Jan 11, 2008.

1. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Since we are entering the cPanel 12 stage soon... We wanted to get a general idea of there were any areas of cPanel/WHM that are slow/frustrating for you. We'll leave this very open ended, however it will probably end up resulting in a poll soon enough.

2. idealso

idealso Active Member

Account Information/List Accounts

The problem here is that it first lists X* accounts, and then you have the option to decide how to search accounts or display how many per page.

*where X is the "number of accounts per page" setting in Tweak Settings

Another frustration is that several sections do not have proper breadcrumb bars. Some of these have "go back" buttons which you have to click several times to get to the level you want.

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Purchase & Install SSL Certificate

It's not that it's slow, but I'm not sure I've ever actually had an order I tried to do through there work. I usually end up having to write the vendor to make sure I'll get the whm/cpanel price and then doing it directly on the vendor's site. Currently, I just get some generic transaction error that looks like it's from a payment gateway, but who knows.

4. texo

texo Well-Known Member

Frustrating:

View bandwidth usage
    When clicking on Xfer (Best Fit) to sort by that column, it will only sort ascending, never descending, so you have to scroll down to see the high bandwidth users.

5. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Any of the panels that do DNS changes (from within cpanel - not whm), our network is all on the same class c and therefore has 100Mbps connectivity, yet when parking a domain, creating a subdomain or adding an addon domain to an account, the page hangs for ages waiting for an rndc response, some form of ajax loader would be better!

#5 nickp666, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You can adjust this under tweak settings:

Number (or all) of accounts to display per page in list accounts.

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The dns backend tends to be pretty slow when there are a lot of domains in named.conf. We will be switching to a new system for named.conf changes once it its proven itself in testing.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Robert has this sorted out in 20181+

9. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hey Nick,

Is this also why SSL installs are taking a long time to install? In excess of 3 minutes to install a cert.

You might say 3 minutes is not a lot but when you are moving datacenters and each cert takes 3+ minutes it adds a few hours to the transfer.
    Installing a cert used to take a few seconds.

See ticket 228197

Is this related to the dns backend slowness you mentioned above?

Thanks ;)

10. ChadE

ChadE Active Member

I find the side menu a little annoying when I'm managing the server or setting up a fresh install. I'd like to see Service Configuration below Security (instead of 2 blocks down), and combine Server Contacts (or move it up) with Server Configuration or move it just below.

Resellers could be moved on top of account functions since it's the same general purpose, rather than have it clustered with contact/service. I also think service status and system reboot should be up near the top, either below the theoretical service block, or below the server contacts block.

System health is essentially a security/service/config thing, so why not move it up and put it below service or security?

Basically, sort things by purpose: Support -> Server Management -> Service Management -> Security Management -> System Health -> cPanel -> Software -> DNS -> SQL Functions -> Email -> SSL/TLS -> Other cPanel blocks (themes, frontpage) -> Packages -> Transfer -> Account Information -> Account Functions -> Restart Services -> Plugins

I know I missed a few but the above is a sum of what I see in my head. Basically just organize it so people can work down the list when setting up their server, have all of their immediate WHM functions and buttons up near the top so they can manage plugins/software/updates/settings easier and more quickly, with the account management functions and reseller controls below, followed by the services and plugins bar.

Other changes to the order of the links in each block could be done too to add some sanity to that menu. It might just be me though - I have a thing for orderly menus :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. jer2eydevil88

jer2eydevil88 Member

Is there any chance we could have an AJAX mode for the navigation bar in WHM? I know that many of us would love the ability to customize the layout of the navigation bar on the left and with AJAX we could achieve drag n' drop functionality.

I know that AJAX would be slower and less compatible with older browsers so if it was implemented it would make sense to only include it as an option that can be turned off.

12. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Do we haev any speak peak details on cPanel 12? Id sure as hell like to know what is comig and why its coming so quickl especially after cPanel 11 hasnt been out that long, I guess.

13. gtgeorge

gtgeorge Well-Known Member

I don't know if this would really qualify for the slow loading page. But here is a list of warnings using Firefox to load WHM with the X theme for WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.17.5-C20439

Attached Files:

14. idealso

idealso Active Member

I know. My point, though, was that you have to do a "List Accounts" before you can search accounts.

15. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    List accounts is painfully slow, say you have 20 pages of accounts and your looking for mydomain.com , now is that on page 11? 13? 14 or 15? If we guess wrong its takes ages to load the next page forward/backwards. *sigh*

16. troxalias

troxalias Well-Known Member

I beleive that the left navigation menu need a lot of work. The most important:
    1. Cleanup
    2. Reordering
    3. Floating help "onmouse over"
    4. Extend search ability within each option and not only the options themselves (ex. you want to find on which options you have something related to "webmail" or "backup").

I also think that a dynamic menu on the top of the screen would be far more user-friendly than a long (in case of all the "sections" expanded) left side menu.

17. dwykofka

dwykofka Well-Known Member

I would also like to see a customizable navigation menu for WHM, but lets take it a step farther and write a config file that we can export / import to other servers so that we dont have to customize all of our servers by hand.

18. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd have to say initial "list accounts" and the time taken to install an SSL cert

19. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Why not just use the search function?

20. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Could you open a ticket @ https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/ with the subject ATTN: Nick. I'd like to take a look at your server to find out why its slow for you. It shouldn't take more then 3 seconds under normal conditions unless you have it showing all by default. The ssl installer is slow because it does many many verifications to prevent invalid certificates.