The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small password bug for POP accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikajo, Feb 26, 2002.

1. mikajo

mikajo Registered

Hi,

One of my customers found a little bug in CPanel.
    When he is adding a new POP account, he assigns a emailname and password. He is using more than 8 characters for the password field.

CPanel says that this account has succesfully been created and shows the password once again.

In fact, CPanel only saves the first 8 characters of your password. You can type whatever you want after those 8 characters and they will be simply ignored.

Can this be fixed ? They want to use longer passwords.
    If it is not possible, maybe there can be a text added like 'There is a maximum of 8 characters for the password field'

Thanks!
    John.

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:64bb9a32b6][i:64bb9a32b6]Originally posted by mikajo[/i:64bb9a32b6]

Hi,

When he is adding a new POP account, he assigns a emailname and password. He is using more than 8 characters for the password field.

CPanel says that this account has succesfully been created and shows the password once again.

In fact, CPanel only saves the first 8 characters of your password. You can type whatever you want after those 8 characters and they will be simply ignored.

If it is not possible, maybe there can be a text added like 'There is a maximum of 8 characters for the password field'

Thanks!
    John.
    [/quote:64bb9a32b6]

Thats a problem with the underlying unix crypt function.. this cannot be changed..

3. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

Just change the field input length in the template to 8 characters, I believe they are set at 15 for Iconic ..

[quote:0d5abb4271][i:0d5abb4271]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:0d5abb4271]

[quote:0d5abb4271][i:0d5abb4271]Originally posted by mikajo[/i:0d5abb4271]

Hi,

Thanks!
    John.
    [/quote:0d5abb4271]

Thats a problem with the underlying unix crypt function.. this cannot be changed..[/quote:0d5abb4271]