The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP 421 (possible clash w/ Outlook?)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JamesB01, Aug 24, 2011.

1. JamesB01

JamesB01 Member

Hi,

I've been using the roundcube webmail through the cpanel for a few months now with no problems.

However, I'm currently on holiday on someone else's computer which has MS outlook installed. Every time I try to send an email I get an error message. I tried all three webmail packages through the CPanel, horde won't log in, squirrelmail gives me a generic error, roundcube gives a 421 error. I can read emails fine, but not send.

I really have no idea if Outlook is related here, but its the only think I can think of thats changed - my home computer doesn't have outlook.

Any help would be greatfully accepted, in a bit of a panic here.

James

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure I follow your post properly, you normally use Webmail, but you're on holiday and the computer you're using has outlook, but you can't use webmail? Where does outlook come into play if you're using Webmail?

Are you using Outlook to check mail or your browser at yourdomain.com/webmail to check mail?

421 error IIRC is too many connections. Guessing here of course but could it be that the computer you're on has spyware or worse and is attempting to connect when you do? No way of knowing without a full system scan of course.

Something like this might be useful: Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

3. JamesB01

JamesB01 Member

Sorry for being unclear.

I have literally no idea where Outlook comes in if I use webmail - I dont really understand how email works. I just mentioned it as it was the only difference I can see.

The situation is:

I work from a computer (without outlook) in the UK. I access emails through cpanel/manage email accounts\read webmail then roundcube.

I am currently on a computer in France with Outlook. When I try using my normal method I get error 421: Cannot add recipient when I try to send an email (reply or new). I can see them and read them fine though.

Since my initial post I tried connecting one of my email accounts (I have a couple) to the Outlook on this computer and it downloaded the messages correctly (actually, it didn't distinguish between read and unread, but thats not the end of the world) However, it still wont send emails and they just sit there in the outbox. Also, when I try to check the webmail through the normal (for me) method I now cant see any messages at all in the webmail inbox.

Hope thats clearer and thanks for trying to help

James

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Since you have been using Webmail exclusively and not deleting, then you connected to the account with an email client (Outlook) it downloaded all messages in your box I would assume. Webmail should now show no messages as you downloaded them all.

Connecting via Webmail the way it sounds like you're doing, is not the best way to go. If I understand you.

You might want to try and connect directly to Webmail instead. Try yourdomain.com/webmail and use your full email address as the login name, and the email account's password.

I can't tell you why sending does not work from Outlook, it may be blocked ports on the computer or from the ISP.

Connecting as described above should get you in from where ever you are and be able to send/receive.

5. JamesB01

JamesB01 Member

No, going through that way gives me a 451 spool error when I try to send.

Thanks for the help.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    To clarify, you do have an email account setup and are logging in using that email addresss as login name, you're not logging in as the cPanel user with the cPanel password, correct?

Have you spoken with your host about this?

7. JamesB01

JamesB01 Member

Yeah, I have four emails set up - enquiries, james, payroll and oonagh all &<domain name .co.uk> I go to <domain name.co.uk>/webmail and type in enquiries@domainname.co.uk as the user name and the password I set up originally for that email address for the password. That allows me to view the emails but when I try to send it throws a 451 error.

I guess you're right and I should speak to compila - I've certainly intruded on your genorosity long enough :)

Thank you very much for your help.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The reason I ask is not about me or this forum, I'm thinking there may be some issue on the server. Your host can check the logs and find out much more, quicker than we can go over here, guessing at things.

Good luck with this. I'd be interested to know how you make out and what the issue was.

Thanks.

9. JamesB01

JamesB01 Member

I'll be certain to post a follow up once I hear from Compila - just filing the support ticket now.

I'm sorry, by the way, if my response sounded snarky - it was meant absolutely genuinely in that I cant really expect you to churn out help forever and I do genuinely appreciate your help.

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    N/P you're certainly welcome.

Sounded like it might be an easy thing to sort, but has turned the wrong direction with unknown issues (to you and I) at this point.