The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP 553 RCPTHOSTS Error

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by darylp, Apr 17, 2012.

1. darylp

darylp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi all,

I've got a client who is having intermittent issues when sending emails. The error message received is:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:: xxx.domain.com 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

I've checked their DNS settings and everything is fine. I have also made sure that they are using "SMTP server requires authentication" in Outlook, to no avail.

Are there any settings in WHM that I could check/change?

Thanks in advance.

Daryl

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Try to send from webmail http://www.domain.com:2095 and see if you receive same error there also. If not, then there must be something wrong with your email client settings. If there is any alternative SMTP port then try by using it. Also, verify with your ISP if they allow you to use other SMTP server. Some ISP restricts to use their own SMTP server to send emails.

3. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

This is an error from the "Remote mail server", which is the recipients server.

The recipients server seems to be blocking your clients domain name.

If he sends to any other domain / domains do the mails go through?

4. darylp

darylp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay! I was expecting email notifications to come through.

I am sure they have tried that to no avail. I may get them to use that again for a few days to see.

Thanks.

5. darylp

darylp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    This is the issue, he could four or five emails which would fail with the above. Then on another re-send the email would go through. It doesn't seem to be just affecting one domain it is a variety but just on intermittent periods.

It's a very surreal thing to see. I could understand failing every time but intermittently. Well.

6. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, from what you are saying I am assuming it is not affecting ALL domains and sending to some domains is going through fine.

What I understand of it is that your clients domain is either blacklisted or greylisted by some spam filtering software and all the domains that the mails are bouncing from, are using the same spam filter service.

Since it is not affecting any other of your clients, we can safely single out this domain name.

Was this domain recently transferred to you?