The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP Authentication not working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mibble, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Mibble

Mibble Active Member

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-R30
    CentOS 3.5 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

smtp authentication not working bogus email accounts are able to send mail without passwords, what can be done?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

What, specifically and exactly, makes you think this is the case?

By this I mean what bogus email accounts can send mail without passwords? How have you tested this?

Unless you've explicitly chosen to disable standard SMTP authentication, it should be working. With all due respect, the chance of SMTP authentication stopping is less than you simply misreading or misunderstanding something!

3. Mibble

Mibble Active Member

yes, i have tested this and it does go thru. i even asked when the upgrade was done about a month ago to whm/cpanel to the 'newer' style which caused me much grief. i even stated that email was going thru without authentication, was told that isnt the case. if i could find the threads, i would point u to them. anyway i tested by creating a bogus account within outlook express and did not even store a password to the account. the domaiin i tested this against i even have disabled in whm. then i sent email with outlook with no password, it went to numerous accounts on the local server and also to a few yahoo accounts i have.
    thus it is definitely not working.

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider