The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP bandwidth BUG!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dariofg2, Apr 22, 2003.

1. dariofg2

dariofg2 Well-Known Member

This has been posted in

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9052

I'm reposting it here hoping it will get the attention of Cpanel developers, since I haven't heard a word from them so far regarding this issue (or any other, for that matter).

=====
    Bandwidth is also being counted for messages that were NOT effectively delivered! For instance, take a look at this exim_mainlog entry:

2003-04-21 14:36:19 196IB9-00017W-00 == XXXX@XXXX T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out: SMTP timeout while connected to mx.XXX.com [200.XXX.XXX.XXX] after DATA

(XXX for anonymity). Although this message was NOT delivered, its byte size was added to the domain's SMTP bandwidth count!!!

This is due to the fact that, as dictated in /etc/exim.conf, routers "lookuphost" and "literal", through the "condition" directive, call perl function "checkspam" (from /etc/exim.pl), which logs the bandwidth. But that happens BEFORE any attempt to deliver the message is made!

I've commented out the SMTP bandwidth logging code from /etc/exim.pl as a quick fix. But when can we expect a definitive solution?
    =====

-Dario

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

3. dariofg2

Thanks, I've done that for a previous bug I found. USELESS! The support technician kept trying to close the ticket, asking: "Are you still having this problem?", as if the bug would disappear by magic.

-Dario

4. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Seems it's the only way to submit a bug now.

5. dariofg2

Yeah! I won't bother, though. Pity Bugzilla got dumped...

-Dario