SMTP erorro after enabling ConfigServer Security & Firewall(CSF) in WHM Panel.

Jul 15, 2019
banglore
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hell Team,

If I enable a firewall in my WHM panel, SMTP error getting.

ERROR
Code:
Mar 11 11:21:21 cp-3 lfd[24260]: (smtpauth) Failed SMTP AUTH login from 78.128.113.93 (BG/Bulgaria/ip-113-93.4vendeta.com): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SMTPAUTH]
Please suggest to me. What could be the solution?

Awaiting for your reply.
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
That's not an error (unless that is your IP) it's saying an IP is trying to brute force smtp logins and the firewall blocked them.

In general this is considered a good thing.

Reactions: cPRex
Jul 15, 2019
banglore
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for your reply.

That's okay,
I have hosted the PHP website in C panel. If I enable CSF, the website will stop working due to SMTP blockage.

Please refer the screenshot attached
and also please see logs after enabling CSF.

Attachments

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I'm not completely sure what the screenshots there are supposed to be showing, but if email starts working again once CSF is disabled the problem is with the firewall configuration. I also agree that making sure the ports are enabled, which should happen with CSF by default, should take care of that issue if that is the case.

It's also important to note here that cPanel doesn't maintain or manage the CSF software, so you might need to reach out to the ConfigServer support team at ConfigServer Technical Support if you are experiencing issues with their tool.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Whilst CSF will work 'out of the box', its generally configurable to your own requirements.
I'd start by using one of the pre configured profiles, start with 'protection low', when you're happy that all is OK, move to medium and then to high.
You will no doubt evn still have to personalise it to suit your own requirements after this.

Reactions: cPRex