The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP error messages, returned outgoing mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Calgrrl, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Calgrrl

Calgrrl Registered

I have no idea what I'm doing and need assistance. Apparently we are blacklisted as some sort of spam source with our email account and I need to change the outgoing SMTP to our ISP's address. I usually use cpanel to check/write/and delete emails. My host said I should be using Outlook (not sure why), but I've never found it necessary.

I know how to change the outgoing SMTP in Outlook, but how does it have any affect on my settings in cpanel (or my host's mail server)? I want to be able to change the port as well. Is there any way to manually do this in cpanel? I am very new to this and am not a spammer. We have a small business and the emails we send out keep getting returned to us.

Help!! :(

2. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

It is suggested that you find and eliminate the root cause of the problem. Get your mail server IP and check it against more than 100 known blacklists using Email Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted. If it is blacklisted somewhere then follow the respective procedure to get it de-listed.

However, as a temporary solution you can change the IP your mail server uses by editing the TRANSPORT section in the file /etc/exim.conf to any other IP on the server. Make sure that the rDNS is set as well.
    Note : Do not attempt this if you do not have hands-on experience.

By the way, do you get any errors/bounce backs? If yes, what do they say? Have you checked the error logs located at /var/log/exim_mainlog ?