Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SMTP error - Unable to connect

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by compunet2, Jan 14, 2005.

1. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

SMTP is not working. Users seem to be able to send from Neomail, however when they try to send from Outlook, they get the following error:

Sending reported error (0x80042109): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server"

I tried to telnet to mail.mydomain.com 25, and it failed (port 25 is NOT blocked by my ISP... I confirmed by connecting to another server on port 25. I also flushed the firewall rules. )

2. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

In addition those who can connect get a relay error... I tried running /scripts/fixrelayd but no luck...

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Check local/network firewalls... routers with firewall security set to High, etc.

Use proper SMTP authentication instead of relying on the antirelayd ip address auth.

4. 7thDsites

7thDsites Member

Alot of ISPs are blocking peoples ability to send via their server's SMTP - I couldn't and had to change to their smtp server rather than my own.

just a thought...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 7thDsites, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  5. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

You could just run another copy of exim on an alternate port and solve that problem.