The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP / POP configuration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by srufiange, Aug 27, 2003.

1. srufiange

srufiange Registered

Jul 10, 2003
    Here is what I'd like to do:

1) Whenever someone sends an e-mail to an unknown user of my domain, I want to discard it immediately so that it leaves more space on the device. I've tried using :blackhole: in cpanel.

2) If the server sends an e-mail (through php mail() function) to a routeable address but undeliverable one, just discard it right away and delete it from server. (for example, if the server sends to and if that user no longer exists, the queue will keep growing larger and larger. I've tried to configure exim with frozen messages but they keep gathering in the input/msglog folders

3) Whenever the pop3 server receives a "returned to sender mail" I'd like to drop that message automatically.

my current exim configuration contains:

ignore_bounce_errors_after = 5m
    timeout_frozen_after = 5m
    auto_thaw = 1m
    #bounce_return_message = false

Thanks !

Sébastien Support Ticket Number:
  2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Dear srufiange,

blackhole sends the mail to the specified e-mail ID, you can write a script to delete the mails sent to that account and run it as an cron job.

The parameter \"ignore_bounce_errors_after\" retries a bounce message delivery and fail if not delivered. Setting it to 5m will fulfil your second requirement.

It can work as per your requirement, But these settings are not ideal for an heavily loaded mailserver.

If your third requirement is to discard undelivered mail notice that can be done using filters.

Regards, Support Ticket Number: