The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ron Phillips, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Ron Phillips

Ron Phillips Member

I have client who is unable to sendmail. He gets the following error:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Another test', Account: 'mail.domain.net', Server: 'mail.domain.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

This happens only in Outlook Express. I tested it in Thunderbird and it worked fine, no error connecting to the server and sending. I also tested one of my domains which is on the same server, and it worked fine in IE. So I'm confused why his isn't working.

Is there anyway to fix it? or reset it?

Thanks.

#1 Ron Phillips, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. ramakant

ramakant Member

Do not use mail.domain.net just put domain.net in outlook configuration for incomming and outgoing mail server, do not tick the SSL option.

3. ramakant

ramakant Member

The error you have get i.e. 0x800CCC0B is due to Server or maildrop is busy.

4. Ron Phillips

Ron Phillips Member

I changed my test connection with mail stripped from the domain, same result.

Neither the server or maildrop appear to be busy as other accounts using the same server are having no problem, as well it works fine in Thunderbird. There has to be something in the configuration of this particular mail account that is throwing this false error 0x800CCC0B.

How can I reconfigure a mail account without reconfiguring the whole account?

5. Ron Phillips

Ron Phillips Member

I looked at the exim log and found the following errors:

Now the user does exist, but this is a new server with a new build. Several of my clients created their accounts with usernames they use as their email user, I installed MailScanner and have the default email blackholed, so we created alias accounts: ie. instead of user an account user@domain.com was set up. This worked fine on my old server, and I just moved these clients over. Could this be affect it?

Ron

6. Ron Phillips

Ron Phillips Member

Further troubleshooting leads me to believe one of two things. One, my server has somehow set itself to block the user.

The second thing of course is that he doesn't have his mail set up to confirm. Aaarrrggh.

7. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    restart syslogd and then restart exim

/etc/init.d/syslogd restart

/etc/init.d/exim restart

This will probably take care of the problem

however if you have /tmp mounted noexec then everytime the syslog log rotate tries to run syslogd will hang and this problem with reoccur

You have to modify the /etc/cron.daily/logrotate to add a seperate tmp folder

add these 2 lines

TMPDIR=/somewhere/tmp
    export TMPDIR