The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by groefie2, Mar 27, 2004.

1. groefie2

groefie2 Registered

Hi,

I'm using a trouble ticket service on my server. Everything works fine except with sending outgoing mails. When I answer a ticket, normally the system also sends a copy of the answer to the client. But I get the following permanent error with any email address:

Error: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: (email address of the recipient)

I'm a newbie into this and have no idea what to do to fix this. I've already reinstalled exim, but that makes no sense.

Anyone an idea what to do?

Thanks.

2. groefie2

groefie2 Registered

Okay, problem solved :p . I've used localhost as smtp host and it works fine now.

3. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post, but is that the only way to fix this, use localhost? Is there a way to allow each account to use its own domain as the SMTP server, in a "virtual" way.

For example, this person was hosting a ticket application, probably written in PHP. When it tried to send out mail it failed because he probably used his own domain name as the SMTP server in the setup of the application. He had to change it to localhost to get it to work. Is that the only possible way to get it work or is there some setting somewhere that will allow using your own domain for SMTP?

Thanks,
    vikins

4. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

Have you tried using php mail or sendmail instead of smtp?

5. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

I'm using what comes with cPanel, exim. Is there a way to configure exim to allow each individual account to use its own domain name as the SMTP server for mail created on the server?

For example, one of my customers uses Miva Merchant and when an order is placed an e-mail is sent out to both the store owner and the customer. In the settings for Miva Merchant is a "Mail Server" setting and when set to the owners domain name, it fails with a message like this:

Code:
    /Merchant2/modules/fulfill/custeml.mv: Line 204: MvSMTP: Runtime Error: Error sending recipient '<removed@removed.com>': (www.removed.com) [207.xxx.xxx.171] is currently not permitted 
    But when set to localhost, it works fine.

The domain has its own IP which is different than that used by the mail server.

Any suggestions? :confused: :)

vikins

6. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

bump...any ideas out there? :)

vikins