The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SallyM, Mar 21, 2007.

1. SallyM

SallyM Member
    PartnerNOC

On one server, some customers are experiencing problems with smtp running very slow or not at all. I have gone through the threads here on this, have unchecked antirelayed and tried the other things Chippy suggested, but nothing seems to work.

I had cPanel looking at this last week and they couldn't find anything wrong either.

What do I try next? I am at a loss. Most of those with problems use Outlook or OE so I have asked them to check these in case the problem was there, but they think not.

The server has CSF firewall, Mail and Explorer, as do the other servers, yet none of the other servers is having this problem so I must be missing something.

Help!

SallyM
    sally@dragon.com

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific on the trouble they're having? I've seen instances where AV software on the client was causing issues, or DNS resolution on their end, etc.

3. SallyM

SallyM Member
    PartnerNOC

I am told that email takes about 45 seconds to leave out outbox. This is causing timeout issues for mobile users and some non-mobile users sending attachments. The problem exists regardless of the size of the email. Some customers mail programmes also timeout.

This has only begun over the last week and is beginning to affect more customers on that server, so I really need to findout just what can be causing it. If/when it was only one then two domains I could think it was at the other end and not the server, now though it appears it must be something on the server.

Thank you for any suggestions.

SallyM
    sally@dragon.com

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not something I've seen on the server-side. One possibility is that local DNS lookups are not happening or taking too long. Are the DNS resolvers in /etc/resolv.conf working? If you have named running locally on the server, you could try using that as the first nameserver in that file so that local DNS lookups are performed. You should also tail the /var/log/exim_mainlog while one of the clients with the problem tries to send an email see if there are any errors/messages.

5. SallyM

SallyM Member
    PartnerNOC

Thank you for that suggestion Chippy. I have rebooted the nameservers and am running timings to see if anything improves.

SallyM
    sally@dragon.com