The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by octeto, Nov 5, 2007.

1. octeto

octeto Well-Known Member

Hi every1

I an having some abuse problems in my server and would like to know if i can put an end to it. Mainly the problem is a user si using the server as SMTP server to send junk email.
    Specifically i would like to know if there is a way to avoid users to send using a foreign email account (user@otherserverdomain for example) and that he can do it only using emails form domians hosted in the server (user@serverdomain)

any help or hints would be appreciated.

regards
    octeto

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is no easy way to do this. Almost anything is possible with Exim, if you know how to properly configure it in exim.conf.

The quick answer is no - there is no way to easily do this. If a user has an account that he/she can log into via POP3, hten that user can also use SMTP authentication and send out mail using their POP3 credentials (and they can masquerade as any FROM address they want and sent TO any address that they like).

If you have a 'legitimate' user who is _abusing_ their email, you need to cancel them. Or contact your customer and let them know that one of their users is abusing your service and will either need to comply or be removed as an email user.

Mike

3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Octeto,

I normally don't try to answer many questions on here because I do not consider myself an expert on some of this stuff, and I would hate to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

But in this case, I *think* I might have a helpful answer. If I am incorrect or have misunderstood your issue, my apologies. Definitely get a "second opinion" about any of my advice.

A couple of things that I've done to help cut down on the kind of email/spam issues you are dealing with is:

A. I've started adding SPF records to problem accounts. I do this by:
    1. Edit the DNS zone for the customer's domain in WHM
    2. In the Add New Entries section, I add theirdomain.com. in the first box (remember the dot on the end), then choose TXT and then in the empty box to the right I put "v=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -all"

(where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the main IP address of the mailserver / server)

I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't "take" properly the first time I enter the SPF record, so I'll test it with something like http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/spf/ and if I see anything other than "Fail" there, I go back and re-edit the DNS zone for that domain and re-save it until it goes right. (btw, you WANT the result on that page to say FAIL... sounds confusing, but if you read the definitions it means that spoofing failed).

B. I use the "csf SMTP_BLOCK option" in Chirpy's CSF/LFD scripts at http://www.configserver.com/ , along with the MailScanner script there as well (in fact I've purchased the whole CP+MS package from him for my servers).

Those two things combined have really helped a lot with spam/email related issues.

Anyone - please correct me if I'm steering Octeto in the wrong direction. I'm not confident in my abilities to assist people on most of this board, but I like to try when I can and "give something back" for the help I've recieved here.

4. octeto

octeto Well-Known Member

thanks on the replies, will let you know what happens. We will try your solution metro2

thanks!