herza

Dec 7, 2019
Indonesia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Im using Alibaba Cloud ECS Instance for my cpanel server and I just found out that all those big names in Cloud industry such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud and Alibaba Cloud are blocking port 25 for security purpose. So we cannot use standard SMTP protocal to send email. I have been using third party like Sendinblue for now but I think spending those amount of money on SMTP Relay, Im thinking to get another VPS somewhere for this task.

So I have install Postfix with CentOS 7.7 and configure everything and now its running perfectly. I even tried to send an email from my iphone via this SMTP Server, and its working fine.

The question is, I have been doing configure it in Exim Configuration for this SMTP Relay, but defenately not working. Here is what I do...

Section: AUTH
smtprelay_login:
driver = plaintext
public_name = LOGIN
client_send = : Username : Password

Section: ROUTERSTART
send_via_smtprelay:
driver = manualroute
domains = ! +local_domains
transport = smtprelay
route_list = * smtp.server.com

Section: TRANSPORTSTART
smtprelay:
driver = smtp
port = 587
hosts = smtp.server.com
hosts_require_auth = smtp.server.com

Any advice guys will be very much appreciate...

cPSamuelM

Technical Analyst Team Lead
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @herza,

Thank you for contacting cPanel!

Were you able to test out the suggestion from kadrin? If so, did you make any progress?

While you mentioned that the Exim configuration is definitely not working, it's not clear if you encountered any error messages. I would recommend that you review the Exim log on the local cPanel server ( /var/log/exim_mainlog ) as well as the Postfix log on the remote mail server ( /var/log/maillog ) to determine if there are any specific error messages logged, which would help in your troubleshooting and might point to a problem that needs to be addressed.

You might also find the following tutorial helpful as guide, as it provides instructions for configuring the 3rd party Sendgrid service as a smarthost:

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards

Reactions: kadrin

herza

Dec 7, 2019
Indonesia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @herza,

Thank you for contacting cPanel!

Were you able to test out the suggestion from kadrin? If so, did you make any progress?

While you mentioned that the Exim configuration is definitely not working, it's not clear if you encountered any error messages. I would recommend that you review the Exim log on the local cPanel server ( /var/log/exim_mainlog ) as well as the Postfix log on the remote mail server ( /var/log/maillog ) to determine if there are any specific error messages logged, which would help in your troubleshooting and might point to a problem that needs to be addressed.

You might also find the following tutorial helpful as guide, as it provides instructions for configuring the 3rd party Sendgrid service as a smarthost:

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards
Hi, I try both 465 and 587 but they are not working. But the strange thing is, when I try the SMTP Server from my iphone, it works.

Here is the log from exim_mainlog:

Code:
2019-12-29 06:03:11 1ilL71-00BQeY-Ct <= [email protected] H=localhost (hostname.example.com) [127.0.0.1]:38786 P=esmtpa A=dovecot_login:[email protected] S=614 [email protected] T="Send SMTP # 5" for [email protected] [email protected]
2019-12-29 06:03:11 SMTP connection from localhost (adiba.example.com) [127.0.0.1]:38786 closed by QUIT
2019-12-29 06:03:11 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1ilL71-00BQeY-Ct
2019-12-29 06:03:11 1ilL71-00BQeY-Ct == [email protected] R=excellent_route T=excellent_relay defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host for 'example.com'
2019-12-29 06:03:11 1ilL71-00BQeY-Ct == [email protected] R=excellent_route T=excellent_relay defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host for 'example.com'
2019-12-29 06:05:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPSamuelM

Technical Analyst Team Lead
Staff member
Nov 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello again @herza,

The error log indicates that the server is unable to establish a connection with the mail host. This could be due to networking issues on your server or on the mail host, although there are other potential reasons for the connection to fail as well. Please feel free to submit a ticket using the link in my signature and we will be happy to investigate this in greater detail.

Best regards