"SMTP Restrictions" why i should keep it Enabled?

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
WHM »Security Center »SMTP Restrictions

This feature prevents users from bypassing the mail server to send mail, a common practice used by spammers.
It will allow only the MTA, mailman, and root to connect to remote SMTP servers.

This control is also adjustable in Tweak Settings.

The SMTP restriction is enabled.
I would like to allow people use remote SMTP servers to send out email, but im not sure what else this feature blocks? I dont understand much the explanation given above. What should i be afraid when disabling that "restrictions"? :eek:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

This option is documented here:

SMTP Restrictions

Per the documentation:

This feature allows you to configure your server so that the mail transport agent (MTA), Mailman mailing list software, and the root user are the only accounts that are able to connect to remote SMTP servers.

It does not add additional blocks, and you should not utilize this feature if you want to allow users to send out email over remote SMTP servers.

Thank you.

Reactions: postcd

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
thx, so this feature only disallow some php scripts to send out email via some remote IP SMTP server? If is it so i think disabling this is not any security spam issue for my server. It is the issue of remote smtp servers right?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Right, it's not filtering SPAM per-say, but enabling the option stops a common tactic used by spammers.

Thank you.

Reactions: postcd