The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smtp stopped working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by newfield, Jun 19, 2003.

1. newfield

newfield Active Member

OK, what did you guys do today? At 10:19am edt I was able to send mail with smtp BUT at 2:42Pm I was unable to send any mail with my own smtp account. What did you guys do to screw this up? I made no changes to my email account and get this message:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'admin', Server: 'mail.MY_SERVER.NET', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'affiliate', Server: 'mail.MY_SERVER.NET', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Don't you test stuff before you release it to the cpanel community?

Sign me: disgusted with cPanel that is always going south.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

cPanel version? OS?

3. newfield

newfield Active Member

WHM 6.4.2
    Cpanel 6.4.2-S75
    RedHat 7.2

4. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

I have multiple clients claiming this same problem. All on different servers.

5. ciphervendor

/scripts/upcp
    service exim restart

Try sending again.

6. newfield

newfield Active Member

well, that's nice to hear, now, how about it, do we have to stay up all night answering customer complaints, or is this going to be put back to when smtp was working before you all screwed it up??

7. newfield

newfield Active Member

Attempting to restart exim
    Waiting for exim to restart.... . . . . . . . . . . finished.

exim status exim (pid 27743 27715 27714) is running...

exim started ok

SMTP is still not working!

8. ciphervendor

The error outlook is pumping out is:

0x800CCC0B BUSY Server or maildrop is busy.

What's the load on your machine?

9. newfield

newfield Active Member

Service Status
    apache (1.3.27 (Unix)) up
    bind (9.2.1) up
    exim (exim-3.36-140_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus) up
    ftpd up
    imap up
    interchange up
    mysql (4.0.13) up
    syslogd up
    webmail up
    Server Load 0.10 (1 cpu)
    Memory Used 29.2 %
    Swap 0.943 %
    Disk hda1 (/) 21 %
    Disk hda7 (/home) 67 %
    Disk hda5 (/tmp) 2 %
    Disk hda2 (/usr) 72 %
    Disk hda3 (/var) 49 %

10. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

I've been upgrading Cpanel every chance since it started for mine a week or so ago.

11. ciphervendor

Any errors in /var/log/exim_mainlog ?

Keep a shell session open tail -f the above, open another shell and restart exim...anything unusual?

It should pump out something similar to:

exim 3.36 daemon started: pid=xxxx, -q1h, listening for SMTP on port xx

12. premierdomain

premierdomain Member

Not sure if this is related but we had many customers complaining of the same issue today. It turned out that Cox Cable has just started blocking third party smtp servers.

No all users have to use the Cox smtp outgoing server just like the earthlink and mindspring users do. For details you can go to http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/email_info.shtml

Premier

13. dthigpen

dthigpen Active Member

Wow, with supporters (Paying Customers) like you, they don't need any enemies!

Anyways, the problem has nothing to do with your server or cpanel, it has to do with your ISP, they are limiting outgoing port 25 to their private smtp servers. Chances are you're using cox or msn, which just started doing this in the past couple days. Use their smtp server to send your mail instead. If you're going to complain, complain to them. Problem solved.

14. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Re: Re: smtp stopped working

I had customers with the same issue. Instead of raging about Cpanel I told them to try the copy of Exim running on port 26 that I use to defeat obnoxious ISP's. My customers were then happy, I was happy and the only frustrated parties were the obnoxious ISP's. :)

15. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

I am getting an " cannot connect to server" all of the sudden. I havent made any changes to my configurations either. I have already submitted a ticket to Cpanel. They are on it and have been helpful. They were able to send email, however I still cannot.

16. newfield

newfield Active Member

Re: Re: smtp stopped working

Hmmm, that's so funny, first, lets see if we can blame it on this guy's server; then, when all else fails, "blame it on the ISP" HA! "it could NOT POSSIBLY be our flawless overpriced cPanel that uses all this free stuff for software, and charges way too much for it" ... You are placing the blame where it doesn't belong, pal. You see I'm not the ignorant kid on the block, and I don't have all my servers using cpanel, I have 4 other servers, that do not use cPanel, and my comcast.net 24/7 cable internet allows me to send smtp from port 25 of these other 4 systems. After being unable to use any email account on my cpanel server, I was immeadiatly able to send of messages from the others, and, receive c/c: of these messages. (The ultimate "talking to yourself" for sure! )

Whether you brainiacs want to admit it or not, it's your insufficiently beta tested cpanel that appears to be the problem, here; NOT my server, NOT my comcast.net access, and, a call to tech support @ comcast confirms that NO!!! COMCAST IS NOT!! BLOCKING PORT 25 for 3rd party servers!!!!!!

Another funny thing, this morning, my smtp on my cpanel server is working again, glorybe!, mysterious happenings..

Now, I'm a happy camper, I've got my smtp back, that I pay dearly for via the exorbitant license fees this outfit charges for their stuff. cpanel ia very feature rich, and it is great when it works, but, when you are updating to thousands (millions?) of servers automatically, I would think that you would apply signifivcant betatesting of updates; were this the first problem, that would be one thing, but, there have been previous "features" of cpanel that suddenly, mysteriously broke. So, the alternative is to not subscribe to auto updates, right? If these updates were tested sufficiently, then they wouldn't break.

How true!

We now return you to the working edition of cpanel, please cross your fingers & toes!

17. dthigpen

dthigpen Active Member

Great!

Great, I'm glad your cpanel is now working for you :).

I have to ask though, with what seems to be a rather large hatred towards cpanel and its policies, why stay with them? There are a lot of other control panels on the market (Plesk, Ensim, DirectAdmin, etc) for you to choose from rather than being forced to use one that you hate. Personally I really like WHM/cpanel, but I know if I disliked it and/or its policies as much as you, I certainly would not be using it ;).

18. newfield

newfield Active Member

Re: Great!

Yeah, we are exploring those options as time allows. We basically like cPanel, it is very feature rich, and makes it relatively easy for the average jane or joe customer to manage their own site. We have been testing some others, but, frankly, if cpanel would get their act together with the autoupdates, and insure that they don't break a non-broken system, we would be inclined to stay with them. The system is great 99% of the time, but, the updates are like some 14 yr old nerd decided to "try this" and millions of sites get affected in the process. My partner has disabled the autoupdates, but, then, the only thing is, when he (we) decide to update, we run the risk of breaking it. They need to take it easy on the price structure, too. So, bdraco, are you listening?

19. HostDime

HostDime Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I agree

This is true, I have comcast, no problems with any SMTP servers. Then one day I start to get many compaints, and I myself cannot use it. What is the problem here. Im sure other people have these problems, just wish someone from Cpanel would stand up and tell us how to fix it. I love the 'unknown' error.

20. frattay22

frattay22 Well-Known Member

Premierdomain, you are the man!!! Thank to my heavenly brain to come look here before throwing pc out the window :) Yes COX did Block SMTP. Biotches imo :) thanks guys/girls

Frank