The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP Timeout

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by odmtech, Jun 16, 2005.

1. odmtech

odmtech Member

Hello

Some of my users complain that they are not receiving mail.

Looking at exim logs, I find entries like

-SMTP data timeout (message abandoned) on connection from (our secondary mx )
    -SMTP connection from (xxxx.xxxx.org) [192.xx.x8.58] lost while reading message data

Our secondary mx manages to relay most emails properly, but on some of them (mostly emails > 1MB) , I get :

-status=deferred (conversation with (our primary mx) timed out while sending message body)

Don't know how to solve this.

Anybody could help ?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a network issue with maybe either a slow internet connection or a lot of packet loss to/from the server.

3. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Definately a network problem for your user, if they are using outlook you could get them to go into the More Settings area for their email account and on the advanced tab change the server timeout from the default 1 minute up to 5 minutes or even as far as 10 minutes (max value) so they will be able to retrieve the emails.

Not always the best solution but it can help them out until they find the problem, it could be a problem with their modem/router/switch onsite or an ISP problem.

4. odmtech

odmtech Member

Hello,

Sorry, my post might not have been clear enough : this is not a user/client problem, this is a server related issue :

the errors I mentionned show up in Exim's log when my cpanel box tries to receive mail from another smtp server (either unknown or our secondary mx). in both cases (especially the secondary mx), there should not be any network latency as both boxes are on the same network...

5. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member