Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SMTP Tweak in whm...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by redlorry919, Apr 1, 2005.

1. redlorry919

redlorry919 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Am I right in thinking this will force users to send mail through an account i.e. not through the nobody user?

Also, if I enable this, will everyone's php mail functions collapse?

What effect can I expect this to have on the existing accounts? Is it recommneded?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not quite. The tweak basically stops local users or scripts from connecting to port 25 locally on the server to send out email. Scripts have to invoke exim (or /usr/sbin/sendmail if you like) to actually send emails. Users I think are OK as they authenticate when they send through the server, but you may need to test to make sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cjmwebdesigns

cjmwebdesigns Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I ran into this situation with my new host, he has this enabled I guess, and then using Client Exec I cannot send e-mail through the Interface using SMTP. I now have it configured to go through SendMail, which is odd, as I am not use to my hosts having me send mail through sendmail rather than through SMTP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...