The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smtp_defer issue opencart newsletter

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jeroman8, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jeroman8

jeroman8 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2003
    I keep getting SMTP_defer (-18) when trying to send newsletter from an open cart installation!
    We have a thread there and asking opencart support but I suspect maybe it has little to do with cpanel/exim etc ..... since other people say it's working there.

Checking the mail que it say this:

046F From: =?UTF-8?B?TWVnYWRldGg=?=<>

Can this strange format be the reason ??

Any help appreciated !!
    More details below!

From the receiving mailservers (2 different):

Exim Mailserver (cPanel):
    2011-08-31 09:39:21 SMTP data timeout (message abandoned) on connection from [85.118.xx.xx] F=<>

Windows xxx Mailserver:
    Wed 2011-08-31 09:48:16: --> 354 Enter mail, end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
    Wed 2011-08-31 09:49:42: Socket closed before entire message received (10053)
    Wed 2011-08-31 09:49:42: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. (10053)
    Wed 2011-08-31 09:49:42: SMTP session terminated (Bytes in/out: 115/357)

Sending Mail server (3 different addresses)
    T=remote_smtp defer (-18): Remote host [108.59.x.xx] closed connection in response to end of data
    T=remote_smtp defer (-18): Remote host [85.118.xx.xx] closed connection in response to end of data
    T=remote_smtp defer (-18): Remote host [] closed connection in response to end of data

Other newsletter software/script is working just fine!
    Tested php "mail" and tested with SMTP.
    Tested on 3 different servers, each with a new installation of Opencart (all cpanel servers).
    Tested different versions of opencart.
    New order, customer welcome e-mails is not an issue - all arrives OK form same opencart.
    Servers tested; running php 5.2.17 (mysql 5.0) and 5.3.6 (mysql 5.1)

The problem is when using Sales -> Mail (route=sale/contact) funktion of Opencart.

Looking in the mail que I can see that this from address is a little odd ?!

018 Subject: onbehalf
    038 Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:48:41 +0000
    034R Reply-To: Megadeth<>
    027* Return-Path:

Checking other emails stuck in the mail que, there is not this ODD "From" adress.
    Like it's formated wrong and that is why mail servers is closing the connection maybe ...??
    It's there when using both SMTP connection and php mail function.

I also tested to change a few Exim (mailserver) settings like SMTP sender header.
    It's the (-f flag passed to sendmail) - same setting you manually can set in opencart (the -f flag).

But it's still this crazy from address.
    Maybe it has nothing to do with it but it looks odd.