The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTPS with valid SSL

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by prixone, Oct 26, 2005.

1. prixone

prixone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have recently add an SSL to my cpanel that uses for mail server the same host, and both do have SSL valid from geotrust.

All working fine... but what would be the difference if i send a e-mail trhou 465 if i dont have a personal e-mail credential and cant encrypt my email ?

there is any other secure about using it ?

thanks in advance.

if you guys can point me the good things.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You're mixing up concepts. ssmtp has nothing to do with personal certificates. To use a domain certificate for SSMTP and exim you need to add the key and certificate to /etc/exim.key and /etc/exim.crt respectively and then restart exim. You can then use the domain that that certificate is for to send out email over port 465 using ssmtp.

3. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    so if the the SSL is for domain.com and domaintree.com try to send a e-mail can he get blocked or something ?

or just that the e-mails will be sent using the SSL of that domain using the 645

i did send an e-mail over it but i notice nothing different when i receive the e-mail.

thanks chirpy

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, you're still not understanding how it works.

All ssmtp provides is a link between your PC and your server for SMTP connections secured with an SSL certificate. If you use a different certificate than the domain you connect to to the one used by exim, then your email client should throw up a message that the SSL connection being established is for a different certificate.

The email will then be relayed on from exim to the recipient, most likely not over ssmtp, but more likelt via normal clear-text ssmtp.

If your intention is to send encrypted email, then you need to look at something like PGP.

5. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i am sorry i got the point now...

thanks for clarify that for me.

so if exim cert = mydomain = email@mydomain i can send secure e-mail

to send using PGP do the receiver need something to decode it as well ?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, email will be secure from your PC to the server. Once the server relays the email to the recipient it probably won't be secure anymore.

If you use PGP the recipient also needs PGP and (if encrypting email) you need to encrypt the email to them using their public key which they will have to have given to you previously. They then use their private key o decrypt the email.

7. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    so confusing but in extreme cases might be interesting, thanks for the info chirpy.