The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNI error installing SSL on dedicated IP

Discussion in 'Security' started by rgwhitt, Mar 20, 2015.

1. rgwhitt

rgwhitt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Folks

I'm trying to re-install an uploaded SSL certificate for a dedicated IP address.

No other certificates currently exist, but when I try to install and finish the process, I get the message:

The certificate could not be installed on the domain “XXX”.
    error This server does not support SNI; SSL certificate updates must happen via “non_sni_update_ip_certificate”, not this function.: This server does not support SNI; SSL certificate updates must happen via “non_sni_update_ip_certificate”, not this function.

From my (admittedly limited) understanding of SNI, this applies when you're trying to install multiple domains/certificates on a dedicated IP, but I only have the one domain and it matches the SSL certificate. I have previously installed certificates without issue on this domain, so can't understand what the problem could be.

Has anybody any suggestions? I've asked the people that look after the hosting for us (I just have the basic cPanel access, no server privileges etc.) and they're convinced the fault lies with the certificate.

Grateful for any help - I can provide extra details if required. Many thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's difficult to investigate this type of issue if you don't have root access to the server. Could you have your provider clarify and provide more details about what's wrong with your certificate?

Thank you.