The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myreales, Jun 12, 2008.

1. myreales

myreales Registered

Hi there

I am very new to all of this.

A friend has helped me set up my website and now I have the blank template and need to update information on the site..as it is a property site for example i need to inut cities, and house types in my drop down box on the search utility.

Can anyone explain to me how i would do this?

Also i need to add properties to my webste, and other things but I have no idea where to go in the control panel to do this.

www.myrealestatehomes.org

thanks x

#1 myreales, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2008
  2. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

You need to find out what software your friend used to build your website and then visit the forums for that product. These forums are for your hosting control panel (cPanel). It's unlikely anyone here will be able to help you with your site itself.

It looks like your site was built with something like openrealty, which is a content management system for realty sites. You need to determine what your site was built with and then look there for support.

Good luck :)

3. myreales

myreales Registered

hey, thanks for your reply!

I emailed him and asked what he used to create the site and he said "PHP are most of them"

Not sure what that is suposed to mean, but I only seem to have access to the Control Panel, which made me think that the content of the website would be edited there, aww im so lost :( lol

thanks x

4. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    php is a programming/scripting language for building dynamic websites. Only your friend will be able to tell you what he built with it. It's unlikely you'll be able to manage your site in cPanel though. cPanel is what you would use for creating email accounts and that sort of administrative stuff for your domain.

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is common. A friend, or even a web designer, sets up a site for you. They give you the basic login info, and you are on your own.
    The problem is that us geeks/techs forget that normal people have no idea how to do anything. They forget that they might have been doing this stuff for years, while the 'new' person is at day 1, or even day 400.

In your case, I think you should have your friend walk you through a few things. First the cpanel, to show you what the cpanel is for and what it can do, and then the actual software for the website (which is different).

To other developers: Try not to leave the nubees hanging. Don't put them on $2/mo hosting because that's what YOU would use. Make sure they are at a place that can help them, since you know those bargain places expect you to know super technical things like FTP. To test the newbie, ask them what FTP is, and the difference between graphic size and file size.