The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So many backup topics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnburk, Jan 19, 2010.

1. johnburk

johnburk Well-Known Member

It's not a surprise that there are so many backup related topics in the feature request forum.

Perhaps it is time up update the backup feature.

Are the people at cPanel planning any updates for the backups?

2. InterServed

InterServed Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was waiting for new backup futures to be developed by cPanel for a looooong time but i haven't seen any action to be taken so far. Therefor i started to code my own backup scripts and so far i completed independent mysql backups and my second script which is on development will include whm/cpanel interface [plugin].

My current idea is to provide the resellers with the ability to manage backups of their accounts/customers.

I'm not even near as an expert into coding but so far i did evolve my needs in terms of backup ways and I'm quite surprised that cPanel didn't do anything into this stage so far and one person without very much knowledge like me managed to do it for myself.

What i did and what i plan to do in terms of backup futures -> I'm sure that cPanel developers could do it in 1-2 days (lets say 1month for reliability tests) but it passed years since cPanel customers request additional backup futures.

I have no idea why it's so hard for cPanel to take some action into this matter.

My 0.1 cent :)

3. johnburk

Just look at how active they are in these forums and you will realize that either

- they don't care (not much competition out there and market for hosting software keeps on growing),

- they don't have time (not enough staff)

- they have other, more important things to do (not enough staff, too many bugs?)

- bad management (by the time one thing is done, there is some other update, so the first thing is outdated and need to be done again before launch)

I don't know. What I do know is that not solving the issues will cost the clients and reputation in the long term!

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I don't have information available regarding future plans; however, we do regularly evaluate and consider all feature requests posted in the aforementioned Feature Requests forums area. If something is not implemented right away we will still keep it in mind for a future update and regularly reevaluate how popular a request is, including taking into account the received feedback and the number of users that have expressed interest in a given feature request thread; regularly reviewing feature requests also helps us to better determine if the enhancement will be useful to a larger number of users in comparison to other enhancements that are also requested.

5. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Your thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated and valued; if there is not already a feature request matching the functionality desired I recommend posting your unique request detailing what you would like added and how you prefer it to be implemented. For convenience and quick access here is a direct link to the feature request discussion area of the forums: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We care greatly when concerns are expressed and take seriously all input received. When an issue arises we very much want to know about it; direct feedback from all users is invaluable as hearing directly from customers allows us to further improve in areas where we may be lacking. Please be aware that during the past year we have increased staff in all departments to keep-up with demand and future growth, notably including, but not exclusive to, additional staff in Quality Assurance, Development, and Technical Support.

If there is an active issue being experienced please report this by submitting a support request; by using our ticket system we are able to more efficiently track, investigate in-depth, and escalate issues to proper resolution. When available, please send me your ticket ID number (e.g., via a PM) so I may follow-up internally; additionally, if a ticket was already submitted please let me know so I may bring it to a manager's attention for internal review. For reference, a ticket submission may be initiated via the links in my forums signature or via WHM: Main >> Support >> Support Center >> Contact cPanel.

7. johnburk

Dear cPanel Don,

Thank you for taking time to view this threat and clearing things up a bit.

It’s not about bug reports, tickets reports and so on. It’s about being proactive. I don’t call using a Horde from March 2008 as being proactive. Horde upgrade request and especially backup improvement requests have been on this forum (and many other forums, including WHT) for years.
    I understand that it might take some time to code a stable backup system. Yet I don’t understand why cPanel cannot make a list of all their opensouce features, check that list once a month for upgrades, test it for 1 or 2 months and release it. This way the opensource features will be part of cPanel 3 to 4 months after release. Not 2 years after! Things like Horde, AWstats, Webalizer and so on.

Yes I know you guys have been working on Horde groupware for 6+ months and it is a good solution in the long run, but until that is released (which may take another 6 months) please update the current one.

It’s a bit frustrating to see that a product that I personally used to love for 6+ years and promoted to everyone, is slipping away on such small points, while it should be the leading player in the market!

8. InterServed

InterServed Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    How about cPanel better create a nice polling system with options to consider ?

I'm almost sure there's no need for every person that desires some update at a stage to post forum topics and so on , it's confusing and it will never be tracked properly.

Make a nice polling system with included feature requests you seen so far on forum ( and only pick the ones that sounds a good plan for cPanel as well ).

Post them -> let people vote (if not guest available at least let the cPanel customers cast their vote on futures that cPanel considers to develop/deploy).

Because as far as i can see people do make features request but nobody knows which cPanel actually considers. We need to know which feature has been approved by cPanel so we can know it will be on it's way soon !

9. johnburk