The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socket Error 10061 when sending email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Chriz1977, May 26, 2009.

1. Chriz1977

Chriz1977 Well-Known Member

Hi

When I try to send email from Outlook Express I get 'socket error 10061'. Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Cheers
    Chriz

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    TCP port 25 (SMTP) block. Most likely your internet provider is blocking your ability to send out email direct from your connection over SMTP port 25, forcing you to either use their mail server for outbound mail delivery or to use an alternate port to connect to mail.yourdomain.com instead of port 25.

In Cpanel you can configure it to listen on alternate ports. If you have Cpanel configured to listen on an alternate port that your ISP doesn't block, then use that port as your SMTP port.

For instance, I set up Cpanel to listen on TCP port 26 as an alternate port for SMTP connections. I then configure my Outlook to send mail to mail.mydomain.com port 26 - which my ISP does not block.

Mike

3. JPC-Martin

JPC-Martin Active Member
    PartnerNOC

This error can be outcome of many reasons ,One which is also explained above that If you are getting error message all the times then firstly you can check either port 25 (needed for sending email using SMTP protocol)
    is blocked by a firewall or your ISP.In this case you request your ISP to open block for you or you can use SMTP alternate port 26.

In 2nd case If these are error happens on occasion then it can be assumed that the destination mail server is not accepting a connection from you.
    Maybe you've sent a huge number of emails within an interval and the remote mail server considers your software to send out spam.Here you may need to reduce the frequency of emails and amount of emails which you are sending.You can also use a relay server.