Vote your option

• Total voters

hostcna

Registered
Apr 9, 2010
Ok now!
Fantastico has been here for quite a long time.
Now all of a sudden Softaculous is a new word around.
But there are mixed reactions to it.
We want to know which is the best and why do you prefer that ?
All inputs from you will help many of us decide and clear the air.

linux7802

Dec 14, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, Softaculous is best as compare to Fantastico but its little confussing for new clients who just registered hosting account. I think Softaculous need some time to undterstand.

Note : Softaculous having large number of script as compare to Fantastico.Softaculous is good for WHMCS and Magento users as well as hosting provider becasue both scripts are present in Softaculous and easy to install as compare to manual installation.

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
A lot of people are now using Installatron, which seems to be a more popular option than Softaculous, and also possibly a more mature product?

Anyone used both and like to comment?

No doubt that Fantastico is getting to be an old product now, Installatron does pretty much everything I'd wanted Fantastico to do from what I can see -
  • adopts pre-existing software installations
  • can do server-wide forced upgrades (if there's a nasty security problem, for instance)
  • easier to manage and update, better designed

Anyone care to comment with real facts? Don't just say "me too", it's a waste of everyone's time; if you're only using one or the other because you more-or-less randomly chose we don't need to know! :)

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I used Installatron for a few months then switched to Softaculous. I still prefer Softaculous over any other one click installer.
So tell us why - assuming you are a real person and not just a spammer trying to build up Softaculous?

Your post illustrates my point exactly - we need real information WHY you found it better, specifically. If there's no particular reason why, then just say that, with the realization that you haven't added much information to the conversation :)

Last edited:

ryansmith

Registered
Sep 10, 2010
Softaculous. Is it good ?

We are long time users of fantastico. I just came across softaculous as a customer was asking for the same. It has around 146 scripts which is much more than fantastico. Has anyone used it before?

SNET1

Sep 5, 2010
We are long time users of fantastico. I just came across softaculous as a customer was asking for the same. It has around 146 scripts which is much more than fantastico. Has anyone used it before?
I tend to find the scripts used by Softaculous more 'up-to-date' than fantastico - which improves security.

If you can afford it then I would personally upgrade as this gives your customers access to a lot more scripts.

Selena

Jun 22, 2009
I currently use Fantastico but am considering adding Softaculous and offering both to my customers. I'm just a little worried about security. How secure are all these scripts?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I currently use Fantastico but am considering adding Softaculous and offering both to my customers. I'm just a little worried about security. How secure are all these scripts?
You'll need to post that question to the Softaculous forum or contact them directly I would think. cPanel does not support Softaculous nor know how often they update the scripts that are offered.

HTH!

Nishant80

May 7, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Found this while searching on google for this question. Seems Softaculous would be a better choice due to various reasons.
/http://linuxlantern.com/softaculous-vs-fantastico-whos-better/