The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for analyzing apache error logs?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by spaceman, Nov 6, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

The more I get to work on my business and less in my business, the more I get to think about the kind of reports I currently have at my fingertips, how they might be improved, and what new ones I would like to see.

It just occurred to me that error logs/report exist for all the websites that we host (about 100), but it's rare that we ever actually review them except for the odd occassion when we're trying to track down a specific error. The main reason we don't refer to them on a routine basis is that it's not easy to separate the useful stuff (eg. broken internal links) from the useless stuff (ie. things we can do less to fix or care less about such as incomplete page requests or broken/old links from external site).

So my question: does anyone know of any useful techniques or scripts that look specifically at the error log files and separates out the 'stuff we should care about and/or we can fix' from the 'stuff we don't have to care about'?

Thanks for your comments.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I've been planning to write my own cgi script to kind of sort things out for me. I haven't done it yet but hope to have time to soon. All it will be is a script that will read each line and rewrite each line to multiple txt files for organization.

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Thanks squirrel,

I think the task is (at least) a two stage process:

1. Group the error log entries by hosting account
    2. Rank the errors from most significant/important to least important.

my 2c.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider