The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software RAID vs Hardware RAID ?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Smaily, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Smaily

Smaily Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is exactly the difference and bads and goods of both sides Software RAID vs Hardware RAID?

Would it rather be best performance for CentOS 6.4 to use Software RAID or Hardware RAID?
    What if one disk fails, will Software RAID still allow to access configuration screen?

So far I have used Hardware RAID. Just trying to figure how much harder is it to set up Software RAID and seems it must be setup just as Hardware RAID before installing operating system usually. Can't figure out if it's called Software RAID then it susposed to be installed somewhere, is it installed after installing operating system CentOS ? But how am I then susposed to build up RAID 5 for example?

For MySQL and Apache which runs better performance?

One link I found where they are compared,
    https://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/s1-raid-approaches.html

2. HSN-Saman

HSN-Saman Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'd always go with HW Raid in term of more reliability and performance , it would be the best if you have BBU on your raid card.

Configuring software raid is not hard and you can configure it during CentOS installation easily but software raid increase your CPU utilization and has less reliability and performance than the HW one.
    Also you may consider SSD if you provide web hosting if you don't need much disk space.

Thanks.

#2 HSN-Saman, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The link you provided offers a good comparison. Note that if it's user feedback you are seeking, you may get more input on a forum that specialize in hardware or operating systems in general.

Thank you.