The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamper, May 7, 2006.

1. hamper

hamper Well-Known Member

hello all,

I'm still quite new to cpanel and have a few more questions. What would be the best way to update the server software? Should I update apache first then the rest? Should I use the update links in whm or update them in the box manually?

I think I need an update. I'm running cpanel 10.8.1-s114 is the latest version? and I'm still on php 4.1.1 and I'd like to update it also. Does the php update with the apache update?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

hamper

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you don't feel confident performing actions via shell, you can perform such updates/upgrades via WHM.

WHM >> Software >> Apache Update
    This will let you update Apache and PHP.

Ensure that you always select "Load Previous Config" and, to make things a bit quicker, check "Skip Apache Build if up to date". You can select the version of PHP you would like to use and select from a range of modules to include in the build.

This will also update Apache to the latest version available to the update tree you're using.

WHM >> Software >> Update Server Software
    This will update to the latest WHM/cPanel as per the update tree you have selected. 10.8.1-S114 is the latest STABLE release at the moment, so there's no need to upgrade just now.

You should check http://layer2.cpanel.net/ for details of the latest versions in each release tree.

If you want to use a different release tree, go to WHM >> Server Configuration >> Update Config and select whatever you'd like to use.

WHM >> Software >> Update System Software
    This will run your OS updater, which may be yum or up2date for a RH-based machine. The daily run of /scripts/upcp should take care of most OS updates, although this depends on your update config.

If you feel confident in doing the same through shell, running /scripts/upcp will update WHM/cPanel and your OS and /scripts/easyapache is the shell-based equivalent of WHM's Apache and PHP builder. Use /scripts/upcp --force to force a reinstall of WHM/cPanel.

3. Kimber

Kimber Active Member

I have been reading around the forum and before I get brave enough to click anything I have to ask - If I go do WHM >> Software >> Update Server Software the worst that is going to happen is I get an error message. My site is not going to crash and my whole life flash before my eyes as I fall on the floor with a heart attack!

Right?

Thanks
    Terrifed

4. chris74108

chris74108 Well-Known Member

Before you do maybe go to server config then update config and set it to either stable or release.

Oh and from you previous post it seemed you were looking to update cpanel /whm so after setting the above you would go to Cpanel (the section in whm) and choose upgrade to latest version.

But no you wont break anything

#4 chris74108, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  5. Kimber

Kimber Active Member

I went to update config and world did not blow up. I found Manual Updates Only (STABLE tree) set. But Cpanel Package Updates set on automatic and security package updates on automatic. Would that mean it automatically update? All I really care about it the thing is secure. My web page design is mostly basic php and html. My site is a huge business but pretty much basic stuff. I really don’t need anything fancy set up. I just want to make sure it safe and secure.

The whole reason I started research this thing is I logged in today to delete all the spam email sitting on the whm and found:

Security Notice:
    There are several known Linux kernel exploits which may allow local privilege escalation. These exploits have become commonplace in recent weeks and can be avoided by ensuring that your kernel is updated to the latest available version. While cPanel will help ensure your system services and software are up to date, kernel updates are outside the scope of cPanel. Kernels with known vulnerabilities include, but are not limited to, 2.6.9-22 and 2.6.9-34. Please check your running kernel for updates periodically. This will help ensure the overall integrity of your server and data.

But I am going to pay my web host to update the Kernl – What ever that is.

Do I really even need to update cpanel on a regularly?

6. chris74108

I would recommend setting it to like automatic updates in either stable or release. Then it will nightly update everything for you. As for that notice cpanel does not have anything to do with kernel updates and thats basicly what that is telling you. That is why I was suggesting you let someone with experiance help you get your box secured in the other post. Before you pay them to update the kernel what is this box running?

7. chris74108

Ya you should keep cpanel/whm up to date.

8. Kimber

Kimber Active Member

Thank you for all your help. I am going to talk to my husband and have him ask around their companies IT department and see if anyone know anything about servers (since their company owns their own servers) and see if I can get one of them to come out to my office and teach me about this and help me update it.

Thanks again